F1 Challenge Testimonial

RacerAlex

F1 Challenge Testimonial

Post by RacerAlex »

First off... Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I'm an avid sim-racing enthusiast. I've been active in the community for several years (some may have read my F1 Advanced Set-up Guide) and I'm always looking for ways to better my racing experiance. I've just taken hold of a TrackIR 3 PRO system and I am completely blown away.

Let me confess: I've known of the TrackIR for well over two years now. But I've never quite managed to take the plunge. I was really concerned that the head tracking would disturb the "seat of the pants" feel, being that all we have to relate to the cars connection to the road is the visual reference of the cockpit view vs. the track. After-all, how easy would one be able to distinguish between head movement and oversteer in a critical, on-the-edge situation.

Well let me say right here and now, this is not a problem at all. In fact, the added depth from the TrackIR makes it MORE easily identifiable. It was a wee bit disorienting for about 5 minutes when I first ran with the TrackIR. But very quickly, it was clear that could put the car further over the edge and bring it back. I was extremely surprised by this revelation.

More over, the 3-D cockpit models really come to life using the TrackIR. Now we all realize that the track is a fantastic 3-D model space, however the cockpit appears as a static image with a moving steering wheel and tire animations. With the TrackIR, the cockpit becomes a true 3-D space as well. The mirrors, wheels, suspension, steering wheel all collectively add to the immersion value of the sim racing experiance. And this added depth actually helps one gain a greater sensitivity to the cars actions with driving hard on the limit.

And this is the simple non-vectored, single dot system. To be honest, after a single full day of running with the system, the head tracking is second nature, and I couldn't possibly imagine driving without this feature now.

So I thought I'd post and tell all of you involved in this great product "Thanks". Thanks for rolling up the sleeves and embracing us sim-racers, listening, and pushing to get this feature into all the great racing titles.

I look forward to contributing towards this part of the sim-racing community. One that I'm sure will only grow larger in the near future.
Wayne

Re: F1 Challenge Testimonial

Post by Wayne »

RacerAlex,

Thank you.
We have other racing titles planned... Stay tuned.
nali

Post by nali »

Thanks Alex,

Your post sold me the unit for me and my online racing buddy. Cant wait to get it and try it.
Barred

Post by Barred »

True words there Alex. I took the plunge 18 months ago and now I find sims that do not support TIR flat and now I find it difficult to judge corners with out TIR. For me it is the best inovation for any type of gaming since the inviention of the mouse.

Like you I am now running the TIR3P and it is a major overhaul compaired to the TIR1.

Can I recomend that now that you have TIR3P that you lighten your wallet just a little bit more and get the Vector as well. When set up it really locks down the tracking precision aswell as adding DOF6 to games that support DOF6.

I have found that if you have the sensor about 2" above the reflective dot/s and about 30-36" back. Then adjust the sensor so that the reflector/s are in the centre of the tracking screen then TIR works at it's optimum.

Welcome to the TIR fan club

[ January 08, 2005, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: Barred ]