SmartNav - no longer in production

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
wheelzsa

Re: SmartNav - no longer in production

Post by wheelzsa »

Hi Everyone very sad to hear the news as I myself have been using the smartnav for over 13 years, I still to this day use it my biggest stress is what happens if it breaks.
Does anyone know where I can buy one ? even a used/secondhand one ? as i know someone in need of one. i am from KZN, South Africa
I have been looking at alternative options but none are as simple comfortable as smartnav simply stick the dot on your forehead and off you go.
Others you got to wear a cap, headset or clips on your ear which all will cause irrigation after a while wearing caps don't work as most quads would get itchy heads which we can't scratch the smile to click one also would irritate me.
Can anyone assist me/us
Thanks Sandy Wheeler
pbrocoum

Post by pbrocoum »

As of Feb 2023, I would recommend the built-in head pointer on Mac OS Apple laptops. You can go to any Apple Store to try it out. It uses face recognition and is similar to SmartNav, but instead of infrared just uses the regular camera.

Not perfect, not quite as good as SmartNav was in its heyday, but it's good enough.

Here's instructions on how to set it up: https://you.com/search?q=Mac+OS+head+pointer

Philip
wheelzsa

Post by wheelzsa »

Yeah don't have a mac apple need a smartnav
umkasanki

Post by umkasanki »

pbrocoum wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:13 pm As of Feb 2023, I would recommend the built-in head pointer on Mac OS Apple laptops. You can go to any Apple Store to try it out. It uses face recognition and is similar to SmartNav, but instead of infrared just uses the regular camera.

Not perfect, not quite as good as SmartNav was in its heyday, but it's good enough.

Here's instructions on how to set it up: https://you.com/search?q=Mac+OS+head+pointer

Philip
PatriciaR

Post by PatriciaR »

Hi there,

My SmartNav broke down this week and I didn't know it was no longer in production. I am devastated and wanted to ask for advice.

Those of you who used SmartNav in the past, could you share what alternative did you find?

I feel completely lost.

Thank you

Patricia
livingator

Post by livingator »

Depend how much you're able to move there are actually quite a few alternatives, some gyroscopic examples are
  • Quha zono
  • Glassouse
  • Abili mouse
mouse that uses reflective dot
  • Headmouse nano
mouse that uses webcam to control
  • Camera Mouse
  • Enable Viacam
  • Mac OS built-in accessibility option (Catalina 10.15 or newer)
Of all these alternatives none are really as accurate as SmartNav and if you have pretty limited mobility like me only Enable Viacam is usable.
specialka

Post by specialka »

thank you
Last edited by specialka on Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
specialka

Post by specialka »