Differences TrackIR - SmartNav

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
mroth

Differences TrackIR - SmartNav

Post by mroth »

What are the differences between TrackIR and SmartNav (other than marketing)? Is the actual camera hardware different? What are some of the differences in the software?

I currently use Naturalpoint 2.14 (I think that used to be called TrackIR...) , with foot switch, mostly for regular use, not games. Can I use either software version, for example use the GX software for games?
Jim

Re: Differences TrackIR - SmartNav

Post by Jim »

Hello:

The hardware for both versions, smart-NAV and trackIR are basically the same as far as basic dot tracking capability.

The differences come out in the software that goes with the hardware, the trackIR is meant for gaming and is highly taylored to this purpose, with the game specific trackIR Enhanced mode. Cursor control is a secondary application.

The smart-NAV used to be called trackIR, we changed the brands about 1 year ago. smart-NAV is intended for cursor control as the primary application and has features like Snap-to for better cursor control.

If you own a smart-NAV you can download the trackIR software and install it, but not the other way around. You can only have one piece of software installed at any time.

Hope this helps.