A few pre-purchase questions

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
Michelle

A few pre-purchase questions

Post by Michelle »

Like many people here, I'm a quadriplegic and DragonDictate user (version 2.5), and I recently upgraded to Windows XP. I've been used to using DragonDictate's MouseGrid with everything, but I found that DragonDictate doesn't always work perfectly with some of my new applications. So, I'm seriously considering purchasing a SmartNav AT. I have a few questions first, though:

I often use my laptop in bed, using a Laptop Laidback table. Will I be able to use the SmartNav at that angle? Will I have to worry about it falling off?

I also have scoliosis, which means my head tilts a bit to the right. Will this be a problem for SmartNav?

And finally, I hope to be able to play Star Wars Galaxies with this. It's one of the programs that DragonDictate isn't working with; although I can dictate (to an extent... can't backspace, delete, or hit enter), I can't click the mouse with it in that program or issue any commands. I don't know if the problem is that the game doesn't work with "simulated" mouse clicks or keystrokes, or stems from the fact that it utilizes DirectX 9... have any fellow Star Wars freaks here (surely there are a few) successfully used SmartNav with it?

Thanks in advance,

Michelle
Jim

Re: A few pre-purchase questions

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Thanks for your interest in our products. I think that a smart-NAV AT will work for your setup, but probably not with a standard dot. You will have to cut up some raw material or overlap some dots to make a bigger one, that way it can track with a larger distance, something like 5 feet. It should clip onto your laptop very easily.

Not sure about the game, I haven't got that one. The cursor control will work, the Dwell Clicking might work and not sure about much more, you can try it for 30 days if you wish.