SmartNav Basic vs. TackIR2

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
bmcnaboe

SmartNav Basic vs. TackIR2

Post by bmcnaboe »

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the SmartNav Basic and TrackIR2?

I see that their target audiences are different and the TrackIR is $50 less expensive, but haven't seen a good point by point explanation of the substantive difference.

Can't you still control the mouse w/ both (both inside and out of games). If that's all I need, why pay $50 more for the SmartNav Basic?

Thanks!
geezer

Re: SmartNav Basic vs. TackIR2

Post by geezer »

I certainly hope you find out. I wonder about the "hands free mouse" label since the basic unit seems to be just a "hands free pointer".

Love.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

bmc & geezer,

I will try to answer your questions in one post.

A TrackIR runs a very specific set of software that is optimized for gaming and includes some enhanced mode features for various Flight Simulators. MSFS2002,and MSFS 2004, IL2 Forgotten Battles, etc.... It cannot however directly accept switch inputs through the 1/4" mini jack on the side of the camera. In regular mouse mode, the unit can control the cursor and is a pointing device as far as Windows is concerned. Without the direct switch inputs you have to use hotkeys or the mouse buttons on your current mouse to do the clicking. Since we are a USB device, your regular mouse and the TrackIR can be connected at the same time. This unit normally retails for $129.

The SmartNAV line was developed to help those that had an Assistive Technology or Ergonomic need due to RSI's like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, for a mouse alternative to cursor control. The software is different. It has better algorithms for cursor control and is more accurate to a greater pixel area. Better speed and smoothing settings and other enhanced features. The Smart NAV will accept switch inputs for the EG & AT model. The AT model has even more advanced features and includes the Dwell Clicking toolbar and a virtual on-screen keyboard. The AT model is a complete hands free alternative that will allow you to control the computer itself, just via head movement. This unit is designed for people that have no use of their arms or legs so that they can still use the computer fully.

Another advantage of all the Smart NAV models, is that it can also run the TrackIR software.

The Smart NAV Basic is similar to the TrackIR in function where it does not include the switch inputs and it retails for $149.

The EG model retails for $199 and the AT model retails at $299.

Please let me know if you have any further questions
MrWalker

Post by MrWalker »

I have the same question, and I guess the reply above answers most of my questions...

But just to be certain, let me just get this clear for myself... the TrackIR and SmartNav Basic are pretty equal, since both can run the same software for games. SmartNav basic will, however, work slightly better for "ordinary" office use... is that correct?

Thanks for your time!
Donald

Post by Donald »

Correct.

A Smart-NAV unit can run both, Smart-NAV and TrackIR software whereas a TrackIR can ONLY run TrackIR software.

Wayne explained the benefits of the Smart-NAV software in his previous post.
MrWalker

Post by MrWalker »

Excellent! Thanks a bunch!
bmcnaboe

Post by bmcnaboe »

Ok. On a related note, I see that the TrackIR hardware (and software?) has just been upgraded. Is a similar upgrade on the way for SmartNav, and if so, when can we expect it?

Thanks!