smart nav versus camera mouse?

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
chal7ds

smart nav versus camera mouse?

Post by chal7ds »

Hello all,

I recently just found a site with a product called camera mouse. It is much like smart nav, at least from the look of it. Check it out:

http://www.cameramouse.com/index.htm

Has anyone ever used this and what is it like in comparison to smart nav? Also, they don't explain how clicking is done unless I missed it on the site. If anyone knows, fill me in if possible.

Thanks
kevin

Re: smart nav versus camera mouse?

Post by kevin »

Greetings,

For an extensive review of the different head pointing options you should check out this site:
http://www.ace-centre.org.uk/headpointers/headhome.asp

I may be slightly biased with my opinion below, though I am the SmartNAV guy so can you blame me?

The first thing is that the camera mouse is not at all like the SmartNAV, their similarities are only skin deep. The Camera mouse is based on a simple webcam, while the SmartNAV uses high end optical tracking technology, the same kind of technology found in the motion capture solutions big Hollywood studios use. This gives SmartNAV the advantage in different lighting situations and range.

What you get with the Cameramouse (~$300.00) is a $30 webcam and some software. The best webcams run at a refresh rate of 30fps vs. the SmartNAV at 120fps. This is technical jargon that means the SmartNAV has more data to work with and hence can generally be more accurate and consistent with the cursor movements.

There are also the machine requirements, the SmartNAV works on Windows 98/ME/2k/XP and Macintosh and requires relatively modest machine specs. A basic Pentium II (~400mhz) with a USB port can run the SmartNAV with no problems. The cameramouse recommends at least an 1ghz or greater processor and notes on their site " Most Windows� programs work with CameraMouse�." For $300 I would want a guarantee that it works with ALL windows programs. For the record the SmartNAV does work in all windows programs.

Both the Cameramouse and SmartNAV packages offer dwell clicking solutions. For specific breakdowns I would check out the site referenced above

I have used the Camera based systems before and they did work, though it took more time to get the unit setup for satisfactory performance than the SmartNAV did and I was not in love with the software.

Basically for the money the SmartNAV product line, ranging in price from $199 to $399, offers you more options and reliability, which is what you really need from these types of systems.
chal7ds

Post by chal7ds »

First of all, let me start by saying that I absolutely LOVE the smartnav!! In fact, I love it so much that I would feel like a traitor if I bought the camera mouse or any of those other wannabes.

Having said that, smartnav in my opinion has some catching up to do with certain features such as the topics I have already talked with you about in the past. For example, the double monitor centerpoint feature and the foot pedal options, which I have already found a solution to (xkeys pedal). But, these seem pretty picky since I am sure they are rare issues.

Mostly I was questioning the camera mouse because I was wondering if I could get the same thing but without a cap or a dot on my head. lol. Currently, i use the cap, which i don't really mind..but sometimes it would be nice to be cap or dot-free. This got me thinking about things too deep, like if smartnav could make smartnav contact lenses! LOL..now i know i'm thinking about it too much when i come up with ideas like that. I wear contacts though..so it made me think of it. ok, i'll stop being a nerd now.

anyways, thanks for the article page..it was interesting. After reading it, i still think smartnav kicks the most ass!
kevin

Post by kevin »

The new centerpoint, or being able to adjust the centerpoint is a feature we are looking at adding in upcoming software revisions.

Dotless tracking is something that we are considering, and it is possible, though have no eta when/if it will be incorporated into the SmartNAV product line.

If you are wearing a microphone or some kind of headset while you are using the SmartNAV I would suggest putting a large square dot (provided on the dot sheet you get with your SmartNAV) on the boom or tip of the microphone.

I also recently spoke to someone on the phone who mounts the unit under their desk and puts the dot on their knee. They said they found the SmartNAV easier to control with the dot on their knee, so may be something to try out.

I will pass the idea for the relfective contacts on to the developers! It may actually be feasible.

I would also have to agree that the SmartNAV is the best head pointer out there for the features and money.

Thank you for your support and ideas.