Use with solidworks?

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
JimC

Use with solidworks?

Post by JimC »

I'm looking for a better method of model control in solidworks.

Have you ever tried to use your 6DOF controller to manipulate models in any CAD software?

A large amount of time is wasted in solidworks by repeated use of the scroll button to rotate and reposition the model.

Any input would be helpfull.
Thanks,
Jim
kevin

Re: Use with solidworks?

Post by kevin »

Hello Jim,

I have not heard of our 6DOF technology being used for the application. I will ask around and let you know what I find out.

Thanks for posting.

-Kevin
kevin

Post by kevin »

Hi Jim,

We've thought about it but have no currently supported implementations available for the public.

We are very interested in providing support for projects like these, though are unsure of the market and its ability to provide a return on the investment that we, or a developer would make.

If we could get somebody to spec out what we would need, then we could approach it as a real project. The problem is what we need to understand what feature set people would like to see in the plugin.

If you are aware of any potential funding resources, willing developers, or market information we would be very happy to explore them.

Until we have a better idea of what the level of demand is and what the required feature set will be this project will not likely proceed much further.

Again if you know of any resources or people we should talk to please let us know.
JimC

Post by JimC »

The CAD Market is huge. (To put it mildly.)
For reference, please see the web site for the only other controller I've seen on the market for such a beast.
http://www.3dconnexion.com/plmsolutions_main.htm
Their product sounds very compelling, however, getting the $500 plus price tag past management is more than a simple matter.
(I'm very close to shelling out the funds myself. OUCH!)

I'm not sure of any moneys available for development, however, if you contact the boys (and girls) at SolidWorks, you may be able to get some dirrection as to what would be involved in programming the interface.

My guess is that if you could provide a solution for manipulating the model, and sell for around $100-$200, you would very quickly have a winner.

(By the way, I would be willing to BETA test for you. :-) )