Linux drivers for smart nav?

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
pkrysl

Linux drivers for smart nav?

Post by pkrysl »

Hello,

I'm wondering what the status of Linux drivers for the smart nav mouse is. I noticed that a while back there was a thread concerning some drivers people were developing for earlier version of the hardware. What became of that?

And what are the plans for releasing official drivers? I bet there would be a lot of interest: this technology is way too cool to leave the Linux crowd unimpressed...

Peter
kevin

Re: Linux drivers for smart nav?

Post by kevin »

Hello Petr,

The SmartNAV hardware has been tested and it is possible that complete drivers and software could be written for Linux. However, we currently do not have any publicly available supported drivers for it.

We are very interested in providing support for our products in Linux, though are unsure of the market and its ability to provide a return on the investment that we, or a developer would make.

If you are aware of any potential funding resources, willing developers, or market information we would be very happy to explore them. As far as market information we are looking for specific numbers for what the assistive technology / alternative input device market is for Linux and number of users with special needs on Linux, the same for gaming, as well as overall demand for such devices on Linux.

Until we have a better idea of what the level of demand is or have a developer who steps up and is willing to take the project on and complete it, there will not be publicly available supported drivers for the SmartNAV.

Again if you know of any resources or people we should talk to please let us know.

Best Regards,
Kevin