Replacement for smartnav?

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
sjmorris

Replacement for smartnav?

Post by sjmorris »

Hi,
I'm disappointed to hear that smartnav is being discontinued, I used it since 2001, and I can't even begin to tell you what a difference it's made to my life. I do however appreciate that it has come to the end of it's life. That being said, can any of the other naturalpoint products be used as a replacement for smartnav?
Chris.Johnson

Re: Replacement for smartnav?

Post by Chris.Johnson »

Hello sjmorris,

First of all, thank you for being a long time user of Smart NAV. It is not our intention to lock anyone out of using their PCs. When SmartNav came out 20 years ago, there was very little in the way of offerings to help people engage with their PCs, but in 2019 there are plenty of alternatives to enable everyone access to computing. We are confident that there are options for people who need this technology, and that it doesn't have to come from us and in some instances will be less expensive than our existing offering.

With that said, we are still offering support, and repairs for existing users. Feel free to continue to send in Support tickets, requesting assistance, or to inquire about repairs. Unfortunately, we don't have a replacement available. No other NaturalPoint device offers the Dwell clicking, or Ability Switch compatibility.

Thank you for reaching out here in the forums.
All the Best,
Chris Johnson
Customer Support Engineer
NaturalPoint
specialka

Post by specialka »

please keep me posted.
Strela_999

Post by Strela_999 »

Following this thread as well!
Oggie

Post by Oggie »

Today I visited your site - I was showing it to a friend and was shocked to read that it got discontinued. Yes, it's had a long run and I say "so what". I have been using it for 17 years after a long search on internet. If anybody used internet back then you know how difficult it was. It was excruciatingly slow and finding anything was almost impossible. Back then there wasn't Google to find just about anything.

I am completely paralyzed and can move only my head (I have limited range of movement. I use the Smartnav, Point N' Click for clicking (www.polital.com/pnc) and the brillant Lucy keyboard (www.lucykeyboard.com). With this setup I can (and often did) format my drive and install Windows. Back then we used Win XP - much more laborious than the current Win 10. The Smartnav did it's job very well and was very well priced. The only thing on y wish-list was to make it work before Windows loads - Lucy behaves like a normal mechanical keyboard. The Smartnav is exceptionally reliable and has always worked perfectly. Another good point is it's size - I have one mounted on my tablet, that I use on my wheelchair. I don't know now but back then the competitor cost double and was in a rather large box.....something like other 25 X 150 X 5 (cm). The advantage it had was the fact it worked without needing on Operating System.

Very sad to see it go.

Best Regards
Manuel Longo
kimwatts

Post by kimwatts »

Oh no! Please reconsider! I can't imagine life without it! I'm paralyzed from the neck down and it has been life changing for me
Kim
Strela_999

Post by Strela_999 »

Even if smartnav is discontinued, would there be an alternative for people who need it?
Chris.Johnson

Post by Chris.Johnson »

Hello,

We don't have any plans for a replacement for SmartNAV at this point.
All the Best,
Chris Johnson
Customer Support Engineer
NaturalPoint
Strela_999

Post by Strela_999 »

Okay, too bad, that would have been great.
mohitpatil

Post by mohitpatil »

a promising replacement I found is here. It's portable, cross-device compatible as well.
http://brainforce.us/