SmartNAV in games

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
Syndrome

SmartNAV in games

Post by Syndrome »

Hi,

here we can read "Vector 3 PRO, Only Compatible with TRACKIR3 Series". So how to use SmartNAV in games with the same DOF than with TrackIR4 PRO ?

"The field of view was increased in the TrackIR4, not the SmartNAV". So the precision of SmartNAV is lower than the precision of TrackIR4 PRO ? So why not use SmartNAV software with TrackIR4 ?
maye

Re: SmartNAV in games

Post by maye »

well, the precision is not what has improved, but the angle of where the data points are taken. If you would do that without increasing the number of points of data taken, your resolution actually goes down, not up. But I'm sure Naturalpoint did improve that as well to match the larger area covered.
But still it stays true that the larger FOV enables a wider "allowed" range of where I am with my head.
This must mean, that I have less freedom of putting my head somewhere for control, may it be in a game or just for office work. Am I right, NaturalPoint (NP)?
I also am a potential buyer and interested in a technical "detailed" comparison of SmartNav3 and TrackIR4, because I am really interested in this technology for both application, to save my hands from pain and to enjoy a more 'realistic' immersion into games.
As NP seems only to offer a one way usage of both with one hardware (SmartNav with TrackIR software), I am also in a bit of dilemma not knowing which one to try out.
If I buy the SmartNav3, I might not know how good TrackIR is at gaming. If I buy TrackIR, I can not even try out how I could live with pointing the mouse using this device.
Any hints on this, NaturalPoint?
Many thanks,
Michael Aye