Reflector dots

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
maye

Reflector dots

Post by maye »

Hi!
I am surprised that I can't find any question about this:
Why do we receive different sized dots? What are the (dis)/advantages of using a bigger or smaller dot?
My theory: If I have a bigger one that follows the curvature of my forehead, shouldn't it be longer to see for the device? (SmartNav3)
Regards,
Michael
VincentG

Re: Reflector dots

Post by VincentG »

Different sizes, make it easier to be seen from different distances from the unit. The farther away you are from the unit, the bigger the reflector needs to be for the SmartNAV to see it.
tmcmasters

Post by tmcmasters »

Vincent:
I have a follow-up question to this, I'm pre-sale (i.e. considering purchase). I couldn't find my question on the forums.

I think the SmartNAV could work for me, but I'm a bit worried about the reflector--how much flexibility do we have? I need a solution that is easy to remove, so I'm planning to have 1 pair of SmartNav glasses and 1 pair of regular glasses. The hat isn't an option for me. So I'm wondering:

-I'm guessing since you sell the raw sheets that the reflector doesn't have to be round, correct? So you could, say, wrap it around the bridge of your glasses?

-would Reflexite or some SOLAS reflective tape work, or does it have to be 3M?

-how about reflective paint?

-do you have a rough ballpark about how much reflector area you need to add per foot away from the lens or something like that? I appreciate that this will vary quite a bit based on particular circumstances--I'm just looking for a gut guess.

I'm trying to think of a solution where I won't look like a weirdo if I get up from my desk and forget to remove the dot glasses/remove the dot from my glasses. I'm a lawyer and I suspect that my partners think I'm plenty weird already!
Thanks!
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Size wise, you are looking for something that is 1/4"*1/4" up to about 1" square, depending on the distance.

Never heard of the other reflective materials. We use the 3M, as it is the best.

The company has tried using reflective paint, and part of the issue was that the refective material that was in the paint would settle below the top layer of paint, as it dried, reducing the reflective properties.

Yes wrapping it around the glasses frame should work fine.
tmcmasters

Post by tmcmasters »

Great, thanks--one follow-up question:

Can one use the TrackClip LED product with the SmartNAV, or only with TrackIR?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

With the TrackIR software, you could use the TrackClip Pro for controlling a game view.

If you want try using it with the SmartNav software, you'd need to cover up two of the IR LEDs just leaving a third visible (and turn the Camera LEDs off in the Tracking tab of the control panel).