Neck strain/health issues?

Here you can talk about SmartNav and related products and issues not covered by other forums.
arganoid

Neck strain/health issues?

Post by arganoid »

Does anyone know of any issues with using Smartnav for long periods of time? I am currently off work due to severe RSI and voice strain. I was hoping to go back to work using Smartnav alongside a program called Dasher, but my employer was opposed to this as they felt that this might result in neck problems (just as my arms/hands and voice have been injured by other input methods).

I spoke to my physiotherapist about this and she said she knew of two people who used head mice and eventually had to give them up due to neck strain.
VincentG

Re: Neck strain/health issues?

Post by VincentG »

I have never heard of this issue before.....

What type of head mouse were they using?
Birch

Re: Neck strain/health issues?

Post by Birch »

Here is an excerpt from our product manual which covers the topic of how to use the device properly in order to avoid fatigue and strain. We have thousands of users who are successfully using the SmartNav. We also have a 30 day return policy, so you can try the product out and return it if you find it doesn't suit your needs.

Head Movement
You should not need to move your head much to control the cursor; by customizing the different features the SmartNAV can easily deliver a smooth and pixel precise mouse experience. The biggest thing to remember is to remain relaxed and comfortable, do not tense up and try to control the cursor; just sit back and let your small natural head movements do the work for you.
http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/su ... ml#h-3.1.4