Issue looking down with TIR3

emolina

Issue looking down with TIR3

Post by emolina »

Hi all,

A friend has kindly given me his TIR3 with vector expansion and the 'normal' clip to try out before buying a TIR5.

In DCS A-10, on a Windows 7 machine I have a problem when looking down and moving my head left and right. I have to do this a lot to do a cold start and the issue is making TIR unusable for me. I figure it has to be me as so many other people love the thing. I've verified that it's not a tracking issue as the camera can see all three dots really well. I've also moved further back from the camera and the issue persists.

I've shot a video you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vmz989hnUY

Please have a look and let me know what's going on! I'm using the default profile.

Also, just so that nobody thinks I'm too crazy. I was going to spend some time getting used to TIR but instead I spent the last couple of hours playing with iMovie on the iPad. Hence the ... presentation.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Issue looking down with TIR3

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Points for presentation, definately!

It's a pretty steep angle. It looks like there is already a downward tilt for the clip when you're looking at the horizon. Is the camera up high looking down? Does the problem exist when you wear your hat tilted farther back?
emolina

Post by emolina »

Hi Mike, thanks for the response. I played with it for quite a while but I can double check if it's any different without the initial tilt. The TIR unit is above the monitor but it's not abnormally high.

I'll get back to you soon with results of testing with the cap angled higher up.
emolina

Post by emolina »

That was it! I pointed the cap higher to start off with and looking down worked a treat.

When thinking about this last night I couldn't see why the starting point would make a difference. Seeing that it DOES though, can you tell me why that is?
NaturalPoint - Mike

What was happening is that the reflectors were moving out of visual range of the camera, causing it to lose you and jump around. By tilting the hat up, the reflector now does not drop as far as it did with the same head movement, which keeps it in range of the TrackIR camera.
emolina

Post by emolina »

Hi Mike, I just saw a link to this thread on my desktop and checked back in. If you look at the video, you'll see that the camera never loses sight of the dots.
NaturalPoint - Mike

It's difficult to see in the video, but when looking down do the marks flicker at all? Are there any red marks in the camera view window? You can fullscreen it by right clicking the heads up display and selecting "camera view". Also, if the angle you are looking downward at is too steep, it can potentially momentarily loose sight of a single reflector or cause an incorrect solve for the position of the clip. Is the camera elevated above your head and looking downward?