Ive had it!!

Charlie251

Re: Ive had it!!

Post by Charlie251 »

Hey, no fair! I left the aux channels out of it for practicality. You cheated by adding your in! So, double my number as well.

And to conter any other point you have, the X45 looks cooler. So, there!

Sorry you feel that way Blitz, but I was mearly trying to show you that there is much more behind this than you realize. If you feel cheated, then sell your unit and go back to a POV. With a 3rd party designer working on keymapping, it is pointless for NP to continue to work on it. From day 1, 2.0 was NOT advertised to house keymapping. So, NP did not lie to you... you will get keymapping support, it will just take a few more weeks.

No Comment.
Dexmeister

Post by Dexmeister »

"I might suggest that you read this thread on SimHQ. There is a keymapping utility which should soon be more powerful than what we did, with trackIR Enhanced support to boot."

I've tried this utility and it doesn't work very well at all. I salute the guy that created it but the fact remains that keymapping seems a far-off alternative, and I wonder at least why it wasn't left in NaturalPoint 2.0 rather than removed?

I have a Matrox Parhelia video card, and they too have taken the route of "let the game developer do it" for many games. The result? Many games not supported or "on the list". I have to go and modify config files myself to get three-way gaming, and quite honestly, I don't see enough games being 'supported by the developer' to give me confidence in this approach.

IMO, a wrapper of some sort and/or continuing work on the keymapper has the greatest potential. Sure, in the future maybe more games will support it, but if "There is a keymapping utility which should soon be more powerful than what we did, with trackIR Enhanced support to boot." is really true, I wonder why an independent guy can do this for free when NaturalPoint was/is further along in developing this already...
gaming247

Post by gaming247 »

i am interessted in that tool too. can anybody post a link where i can grab it here ?

simhq is down right now
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

Guys-
A number of folks have asked the very reasonable question "why did you guys remove keymapping?" We promise you that it wasn't the case of pulling something out- the 2.0 software was a complete, ground-up rewrite of the software. Therefore, every feature had to be re-coded. It was literally a case of trackIR Enhanced support, or keymapping. Realizing that we would take a hit on it, we felt it was best for current and new users for us to focus on the trackIR Enhanced program
snake122

Post by snake122 »

quote:Originally posted by Charlie251:
[QB]Hey, no fair! I left the aux channels out of it for practicality. You cheated by adding your in! So, double my number as well.

And to conter any other point you have, the X45 looks cooler. So, there!
QB]Ops, I meant shift when I said aux. channels, sorry. So I wasn't cheating What are the aux channels, I don't remember them in SGE?

I think the X45 is butt ugly. It looks like something that came out of a Il-76 or Mig-21 when the Soviets were painting the cockpits turquoise. The jet black X36s looked like it could have came out of a fighter, besides for the finger guard wraping around the front of the stick.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Well, hurumph, IVE always thought it looked like something out of a spaceship.

But, ok, lets take looks out of this.....

Mine works just as good as yours for $230 less dollars.

BEAT THAT!
snake122

Post by snake122 »

Are we flying spaceships or fighter planes here LOL?

Well after buying my 5 X36s that broke due to Saitek's cruddy construction I could have bought a Cougar if they were available then And the pots and gimbals were much worse in the X36s. So far my Cougar hasn't given me problems with either
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Dex: The reason it has been removed is because it only worked on 2% of the machines it ran on and NP does not have the resources to fix it correctly. It did not work at all on my machine in any of the 1.X versions. NP has many issues to deal with, and allocating the resources to conquer keymapping was not something they decided to do. Personally, I would really like to see a keymapping support program. But NP just cannot do it right now. Remember, they are only 8 people.... that includes the guy who takes orders and ships them, the guy who deals with developers, ect. Out of those 8, my bet would be only 4 are profiecient with coding. That is why it was removed.

Other Util: Have you actually used the newest one that isnt out yet? Meaning, are you a beta tester for it? Im curious to see because I heard rumor that in a few weeks a new version will be released that has full TIR support. Not trying to bash, just honest question... I really hope the new version works correctly and kicks butt. That would mean I can use TIR for Mechwarrior and other games as well.

I know it seems that I am against keymapping, but really I am not. I really want to see it. BUT I DO NOT want to lose all the forward progress in other things, which would happen is NP had to spend resources trying to get it to work.

As for using a 3rd person, how many new aircraft were modeled by the 1C team? Not many. Most of the modeling was done 3rd party people who love the game. Look at the P-51.... one of the most sought after planes... it isnt going to be in the first release as flyable because 1C is doing it. Imagine if there were no 3rd party modelers.... we would only have 2 or 3 new planes to fly! Don't doubt the use of 3rd parties. Just because NP decided to go with a 3rd party does not mean that they are incapable of doing it. It just means that they decided to have someone else do it so they could use their resources to make other aspects better (like the UI and enhanced mode).

Let me know about that 3rd party util. Post the link to please. I would very much like to see how thats coming along.

Cheers.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Dex: Oh yeah, forgot the point on the Matrox card.

If I am not mistaken, Matrox is not even close to being the giant that NVida and ATI are. Like NP, they are small fries in the buisness.

That means they really do have to rely on outside help until they reach a level that they can support themselves.

If you want to see NP doing this, tell all your friends to buy TIR and support NP. When they reach that level, they can support their own.

But it is really a moot point because there really is no way for NP to do anything unless the game developers will impliment their SDK tools in the game coding itself. Its one of those "danged if ya do, danged if ya dont" kind of things.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Ive heard of people having a few problems with X36/45's. I got an X45 defective from the box (rudder would drift) so I took it back and got it exchanged for another. That was about a year ago. Havent had a problem since. Works beautiful. I cant beleive it because I sure slam this thing around some times....

Doesnt matter... mine still looks cooler.