Ive had it!!

BlitzKrieg

Ive had it!!

Post by BlitzKrieg »

Ok let me get this straight....Without a keymapper now I have to wait for the company that makes the game to intergrate your device into thier game? We are talking about gaming companies that have deadlines and are short on resources. Now you expect them to do your work for YOU and make YOU money. I have been VERY VERY patient with this for almost a year. Back in Oct I was told that a new version was in devlopment and was offered to join the beta team by you. I responded twice and got NOTHING back. Now I find out that you have no keymapper at all. Thank you very much for wasting my time as well as others I'm sure. I plan to give the trackIR negative reviews on any forums boards I come across. I even had alot of my squadies, we have currently 130 members, lined up to buy the TrackIr. Say goodbye to those sales. You dropped the ball big time IMO. I just love wasting money on devices I use for 1 maybe 2 games...NOT!

Thanks again for nothing.
gaming247

Re: Ive had it!!

Post by gaming247 »

i think that is a bit hard. NP is a small company and they are working hard to get things right.
getting a custom dll file is of course the optimum. I think game developers are interessted to get trackIR work in their game also, as many trackIR owners are not willing to buy a game that doesn�t support it. e.g. CFS 3.

i am sure getting keymapping to work as it should would have taken months.

What i don�t understand is why NP isn�t trying to emulate a joystick POV hat.
POV hat has become a standard device and is available in almost every game.
having the options for mouse emulating, custom files and POV hat emulating would supplie all the gaming needs. IMHO

[ February 19, 2003, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: gaming247 ]
Siggi

Post by Siggi »

Direct joystick mapping was a must for this device. Without that, considering the bloody awful loss of center this device suffers from, useage is an excercise in frustration.

Every game I play has in-built joystick mapping as a standard feature. Why TIR has to be any different I don't know.

It goes on the shelf until FB is released, and I'll then try it again. If it still causes more frustration than joy it'll go in the bin.

[ February 19, 2003, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: Siggi ]
609IAP_Recon

Post by 609IAP_Recon »

Not sure I follow, but you can program your joystick to bind a key to F12, etc...

I have a key on my joystick that handles the TrackIr commands Siggi.
Siggi

Post by Siggi »

The only way to do that with a Cougar is to use the Foxy software, and I won't touch it with a pole.

Lucky I only play Il2 (my shooters don't count coz they're for light relief only), and by extension FB to come coz I'm covered.
Cess-Lorak

Post by Cess-Lorak »

So the cougar is a piece of crap?! Man, I'm glad I didn't spend the money on one then. I can't believe that someone would make a joystick that you can't assign keyboard buttons too. How crappy is that?
honda346

Post by honda346 »

I think the hat emulation is a good idea. But let's face it most sim folks have a joystick that can have keyboard keys assigned to the buttons and I'm sure they counted on that. I have a friend with the Cougar and while it can get complicated to do tricky programming the straight key=button function is so stupid simple I don't know how anyone couldn't handle it.

The problem is we're talking about a couple hot keys for the trackIR here and the real issue is using it in games that don't have direct enhance support... um, which is everything out right now (the games listed aren't even out yet). The weird part is I thought the old version had a keymap utility in it already so why was it taken out? I just purchased mine and went straight to 2.0 so I've never seen the other version.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Why would you spend over $250 for a joystick anyway, when it only has 1/4 the amount of button assignments possible than an X45, looks a lot cheaper, and now I find out you cant assign things to it through external profiling software. Thats pretty lame. Glad I have a X45. I love mine.

As for the comments above about NP.... you have to realize that this is a new product on the market. It isnt even main stream yet. Look at VCR's... they are STILL making new upgrades to them and they've been out for decades.

You have to understand the final product that NP is trying to reach. If you want integrated .dll support in games, then write the game manufacturer and use your 130 squaddies to put the pressure on them. NP has made it VERY easy for them to do by releasing their development tools to these companies. It is pure laziness or ignorance on these companies not to simply download the tool, and whip up support. It actually is quite simple.

The end reach that NP is trying to get to is so that everything integrates flawlessly and runs beautifully, without and EMULATION. Emulation causes problems, INTEGRATION solves everything.

Without a keymapper, I use TrackIR for every game on my hard drive and it works fine. IL-2, Ghost Recon, Neverwinter Nights, Quake 3 arena, Soldier of Fortune, and Dungeon Seige.

I do not have centering problems with IL-2. If your having issues, then you obviously havent spent the 5 minutes it takes to tweak your settings so that it works like you want it to. Especially version 2.0, you can tweak so much that I cannot see it not working for you if you spent the few minutes needed to configure it to your personal likes and your machine specs.

I will wait for the games to get integrated support and instead of whining at NP, I will tell game developers that I will not buy their games until they have .dll support. Simple as that. If enough people do it, then it will happen.

I do not want NP wasting their time trying to get a feature coded so it works perfect when it will be outdated in 6 months and will not be needed. By the time they spent all their resources getting keymapping done right, YOU WONT NEED IT. Unless your playing old games. Old games and new technology dont mix.

Sorry.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

quote:Originally posted by honda346:
The problem is we're talking about a couple hot keys for the trackIR here and the real issue is using it in games that don't have direct enhance support... um, which is everything out right now (the games listed aren't even out yet). The weird part is I thought the old version had a keymap utility in it already so why was it taken out? I just purchased mine and went straight to 2.0 so I've never seen the other version.It never worked like it was supposed to and had more bugs than a South American rain forest.

Besides, in 6 months it will be outdated and you wont need it anymore. Pointless for NP to spend so much time on it now when it wont be needed later.
gaming247

Post by gaming247 »

i am not convinced that we will get that much support from the game developers in the near future. They always stand under pressure when releasing a new game.
trackIR will need a strong and big userbase to get recognized by the developers.
In order to get that much trackIR owners it would be good to have support for more than 3-4 Games.
Leaving an option to get trackIR in more games, isn�t the right time. imo