Not much impressed.

honda346

Re: Not much impressed.

Post by honda346 »

Halstead, you have way more patience than I would for some of these comments... I'm sure you already know that only a small percentage of the users actually post here anyway. Everyone else is tickled to death with the thing. I don't even have a game running with it yet and I know it will be one of the best advances in gaming yet (I'm only interested in the best integration as with FB). I just hope the gaming community embraces the thing the way they should. The trackIR should be bundled with every major sim coming out on the market!
Jimbud

Post by Jimbud »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Halstead York:
[QB]OK, lets' see if I can help:

4) Sensitivity:
The highest speed setting is the same as it always was, we've just make the lowest setting a lot lower. Not sure what to tell you here.

But what about the missing 2X button? max speed is NOT the same as the old version.

in fact you should have 2X and 4x buttons!
the adjustment range should go from WAY too slow too WAY to fast.
as I said in another post even with everything maxed out, my active led on a mike boom out in front of my face and using enhanced mode in strike fighters I cannot get full travel.

with everybody having such different setups it only makes sence to give the user as much adjustment as possible.

[ February 19, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Jimbud ]
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

Jimbud-
My unserstanding is that the high end represents what was 2X, but I'll look into it for you- we certainly want to make sure that everyone can get speed settings they can use.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

It turns out that we did have an oversight on this one. The overall range is not as great as the older software, we will be adding in a 2X button or changing the scaling range to allow for the same movement as before.
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

Joystick mapping was as you say "petty bloody obvious to you" but obviously wasnt to any off the other people that frequent this forum, sorry we beta testers didnt read you mind, im sure that the TIR people will take up you nice request to add it onto the development white board and it will be added in tommorrow

Seriuosly though Siggi just put a request in the developmnet forum, ask to be on the beta team its obvious to me you have some good ideas and also can think of things others may have missed all this helps.

As for the Cougar well I cant agree with you on Foxy Siggi as I find it very easy to use at a basic/meduim level on getting games keys mapped to buttons, as for the Cougar quality build then im with you on that wave length (its got crap gimbals and we deserved better for the money)

Also when FB comes out if your not happy with your TIR unit ill buy it off you as im going to get another one soonish.

[ February 19, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Hotdognz ]
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

LOL. Good responce. I didnt understand the 8" latitude thing as I was reading to fast. My bad....

BUT, now I see a culprit. The 2.5 feet is a bit much IMO. The IR IS powerful enough to reach that far and reflect to the unit..... the only problem is that the size of the dot does matter (no pun intended). The larger the dot, the faster (or more throw) your going to get from head movement.

If you cannot move the TIR unit closer, I would advice one of three things...

1. Make the dot bigger. Have you seen the clover pattern post that hotdognz has? It works well for him. I suggest you make something like that (5 dots in a clover pattern) and then watch it in the motion box. You may have to adjust your size filters (you can do that in 2.0 ) so that it will not automatically ignore the new size dot.

2. Make a dolrod extender. I did this with a dowl rod at the exact same diamiter of one dot. I made it 15" long and strapped it to my headset. I had it extending about 8" from my head. I stopped using it because I moved closer to my unit so I didnt need the length anymore. But this will get your dot closer to the screen. It will look funny, but it works well!

3. Active IR LED device. (NP is working on one)

I would actually try #1 above. If that doesnt work as well as youd like, make that same clover pattern at the end of the dowl rod idea in #2. But I think that by making the dot larger, it should solve one of your problems.

As for the Cougar software.... I would leave this to Hotdog as he has one and I am speaking from no experiance there. I use the X45 with Saiteks WinXP software. It is great. I also know that there is a 3rd party set of drivers from a guy whos name starts with D and I have no idea how to spell it. But I think the Saitek stuff works perfect and dont want to change. Ive made a ton of posts in my time about why I think the X45 is a better buy, but it all comes down to personal preference and money. With the X45, I have 8 buttons, 2 wheels, 1 paddle, and 4 8 position POVs. With 3 modes, that means I can program a total of 120 commands (this is not counting the wheels as I could set them both to 10 band axis with 10 commands each, 20 total, 60 with 3 modes.... so a total of 180 commands. )

What would you do with so many? Well, mode 1 is my NAV mode, mode 2 is AA mode, and mode 3 is AG mode. Worked great in Falcon 4 where I needed radar commands that were specific to AA and AG, plus all the weapons cycling, MFD menus, ect.

I just could not see getting that kind of use from a Cougar, and I spent $230 less for it. Only thing I wish it had was a friction setting for the stick. Has one fr the rudder, but Id like to tighten the stick just a touch. I could probably rig it up myself but Ive been lazy.

Hope those new dot configs fix it for you. I would really try to get a bigger dot and get it within at least 1.5 foot of the TIR unit.

Here is a crazy idea.... put the TIR unit on a table top next to the cockpit to the side. Put the dot on the side of your head (or on a cap and wear it side ways). Then, it will be close and youd have to learn to tilt your head for up and down view. I know it would suck, but its an option.
Siggi

Post by Siggi »

I already use the flower-pattern dot on a panel on a cap-brim. That was how I overcame the distance problem with v1.40. For some reason there just isn't as much sensitivity with v2.0, even with the sliders maxed.

I don't care anymore. I'm quite happy to wait for FB and try the unit again at that time. If it still sucks I'll bin it and consider the money I spent on it a curiosity penalty.
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

OK, lets' see if I can help:

1) Joystick mapping:
We will probably never offer this in our software because it would be incompatible with all of the various joystick profiling software like FOXY, Thrustmapper, Sidewinder, Etc. We realize that this leaves a few folks (and yes, our research shows it is only a small percentage of our users) out in the cold in terms of mapping trackIR HotKeys to DX buttons, but the alternative would cause problems for far too many of our users.

2) Keybinding:
The lack of Keymapping is the most controversial change, and loosing it is not something we did lightly. The short answer is that it didn't work on many platforms, and even those that it did work on had poor performance. After looking into theses issues, we found no way to fix that that wouldn't be a serous drain on our limited development resources. In the end we felt that we should focus on the trackIR Enhanced in initiative instead. Note that we're getting support into a number of older sims (BoB is a great example), and we're dedicated to bringing the best performance to the largest number of users and sims.

3) Dead Zones:
They're in there (and a whole lot more)! However, trackIR Enhanced support is necessary to take advantage of them. We had dead zones in there for a while in Mouse Emulation mode during beta, but we found that absolute positioning was necessary to make them useful for users. Otherwise, dead zones are useful for about 5 seconds, and then they loose center. There's absolutely nothing that we can do about this, because it's inherent in the way a mouse operates.

4) Sensitivity:
The highest speed setting is the same as it always was, we've just make the lowest setting a lot lower. Not sure what to tell you here.

4) You guys suck:
Do Not!

[ February 19, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Halstead York ]
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Huh, I actually had to turn my sliders from 25 down to 15, then back up to 20 to find the sweet spot. I thought it got more touchy.

One thing to try Siggi that I forgot to mention... go into IL-2 hardware setup, INPUT menu, and boost your mouse sensitivity to around 2.0 or more depending on how much speed you want with your TIR.

That will make a huge difference.
Jimbud

Post by Jimbud »

quote:Originally posted by Jim Richardson:
Hello:

It turns out that we did have an oversight on this one. The overall range is not as great as the older software, we will be adding in a 2X button or changing the scaling range to allow for the same movement as before.Thanks it should be perfect then.