Machine hangs if TIR left idle

Dexmeister

Machine hangs if TIR left idle

Post by Dexmeister »

If I leave a IL2 for 10 minutes, even in menu mode, when I return, the TIR unit is off, hotkeys do not revive, and machine needs reboot to exit.

Anyone else come across this?
Charlie251

Re: Machine hangs if TIR left idle

Post by Charlie251 »

What operating system do you use?

Pull up your CTR-ALT-DEL menu in XP, or your system monitor in any other OS, and watch the amount of resources your TIR is using. Look for NATURALPOINT.EXE and watch the mem usage.

There have been reports from version 1.30 about it being left idle and the system resources continue to climb.

Best thing is not to leave it on idle. Ive left it on for a long while and have had no problems.
Siggi

Post by Siggi »

One odd thing that I've noticed is the TIR software causes my ADSL window to open and flash on the taskbar. It doesn't disconnect or anything, just behaves as if I'd double-clicked the wee connection icon. Weird.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Interesting. What keys do you have mapped as hotkeys? Could any of them cause it to pull things up?

Ive noticed with hotkeys like CAPSLOCK, SHIFT, ect that they stay in the position they were at. So if capslock was ON when you started TIR, and you have it mapped, no matter how many times you hit CL, it will stay on until you turn TIR off and press it again.

This also causes the SHIFT key to "stick".

Hotkey pass through is rumored to be in a future release.
Dexmeister

Post by Dexmeister »

FYI, this is with NaturalPoint 2.0, with the typical F7/8/9 keys mapped.

The things was frozen solid. Mouse didn't work, three-finger salute didn't work, nothing.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

OK, pull up the resource tracker (CTR-ALT-DEL (process tab in XP) or how ever else you watch how much memory a program uses prior to opening NP.

Open NP with a dot visible to the target and leave computer idle. Watch mem useage. Does it go up?

Then, close NP and reopen with no dot visible. Leave idle and watch memory useage. Does it continue to climb?

I ask this because another user had this happen with version 1.20 on his system a long while back. I want to make sure that it didnt show back up on your machine in 2.0. As the memory useage fills up, once it reaches max, it may just freeze everything up instead of giving you the low memory warning or BSoD.

Also, maybe try running Dr. Watson or find your error logs and post the information that is generated after one of these Freeze / reboot sessions. That could give us some background and maybe the culprit of your problem.