TrackIR Performance and Frame Rates

Hotdognz

Re: TrackIR Performance and Frame Rates

Post by Hotdognz »

Hi Sweeper I just did dome tests on my computer.

Specs

Windows XP
IL2 v1.2
TrackIR v2.0

Athlon 2.1GHz processor
Jetway A266B Motherboard
512Mb Ram
ATI 9700 pro
Hercules Fortissimo Sound Card
Cougar HOTAS

With Game Commander2 running in the Sys tray im getting CPU load at 3-5% and no more if I move my mouse around I get peaks to 9% at most.

Next with Game Commander 2 & TIR running in the system tray im getting 4% steady with a peak to about 8% every now and then as I type this and im using TIR to move my mouse around.

In IL2 im getting the same frame rates if im using Track Ir or not, I set up a 4 vs 4 with no notable diffrence at all.

Il2 settings are at 1290x960 with every detail at MAX except Terrain lighting which is at the level below the highest, i have 4xFSAA & 16XAA also running on my ATI 9700 Pro.

My TIR is pluggedinto my motherboards USB ports so the KT266 chipset is runnig it but my Cougar is plugged into a PCI USB 1.0 add in card as I had lots of promblems with my cougar and USB ports when I firts got it.
sweeper

TrackIR Performance and Frame Rates

Post by sweeper »

I just picked up a new TrackIR based on feedback in this and the UbiSoft IL2 forum.

I have to admit I am disappointed by the impact on game performance of the system and would like some feedback those who are happy. For me it is unusable.

I have tried to use the TrackIR system (v2.0 software, never tried eariler versions) with two simulations: IL2 and Strike Fighters.

I spent quite some time tweaking the settings for IL2 in relative or "mouse emulation" mode, and for Strike Fighters in enhanced or "absolute" mode. While I'm not completely satisified with the settings there are still more things for me to tweak so I haven't given up yet. In other words I don't think the settings are the problem.

No, the problem I am experiencing is a nasty drop in frame rates for both sims when the TrackIR software is running. Whether tracking is enabled or not doesn't seem to have a lot to do with the frame rate drop ... it seems to come down to whether the 2.0 software is running or not.

In IL2 I can fly around by myself and get reasonable frame rates with TrackIR enabled. But if I start a quick 4v4 mission the frame rates rapidly drop from more than 20 fps to something less than 1 frame per second. Yikes. I've tried dropping resolution with little noticable affect on frame rates -- from 1600x1200 down to 1024x768. I could try dropping other graphic settings but this seems to be a bit extraordinary and I don't think is the cause of the problem.

It could be that my system is just on the edge of being able to run IL2 with my current settings, and that TrackIR pushes it over the edge. My system settings are below.

Now for the intersting bit.

It seems like the TrackIR software does take up a lot of CPU power. I did some tests using the WindowsXP Task Manager.

With only a few system tray apps running, including GameCommander, but without TrackIR running the typical "idle" CPU load hovers around 3%, with jumps to 5% if I move the mouse aroudn a lot. Pretty typical based on my past experiences with many different Windows OSs.

With TrackIR running in the system tray the "idle" load jumps up to around 10% and stays there, with jumps to 15% if I enable tracking and use TrackIR to move the mouse.

No page swapping is occuring during these tests. The actual memory in use is less than the installed 512Mb RAM.

That's a significant hit for an application that is supposed to have a nominal impact on performance.

Can anyone repeat my tests and report back? If all of you are getting similar CPU loads then I would suspect my system or system settings are at fault rather than the TrackIR software. If not....

Anyone from NaturalPoint, is this expected? If not, any recommendations for how to fix the problem?

For now TrackIR is proving unusable on my system with any simulation. I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.

System Specs:

Windows XP
Strike Fighters SP1
IL2 v1.2
TrackIR v2.0

Athlon 1.4GHz processor
Asus A7m266 Motherboard
512Mb Ram
NVidia GeForce3
SBLive Value
Cougar HOTAS

Cougar and TrackIR plugged into mainboard USB port.
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

quote:Originally posted by Charlie251:
Ill add my research in on this issue as well....

ASUS A7V333
AthalonXP 1800+ (cooled to 112 F)
1.2 GB DDR333 (PC2700)
GeForce3 Ti500
SB Audigy 2

With NP running on any page, memory useage is 7860-7896.

With it minimized, tracking and paused = 5% CPU.

With it on screen on main, hotkey, or profile page = 5% CPU

Motion page when tracking fast head movements = 12% CPU.

On Tracking page when tracking fast head movements = 21% CPU.

As I said, when minimized and tracking fast head movements, it sits at 5% CPU. Oh, thats with Outlook running minimized as well.That all sounds about right.

Dex-
Yes, someday we'll have the perfect driver ands software (probably just in time for the trackIR2 or some such) Although it works like a game controller the things that you see going on in the Motion and Tracking screen are actually pretty heavy, CPU-wise (it ain't no Direct X controller!). That's why we recommend using those screens for setup and them minimize the app.
sweeper

Post by sweeper »

Frame rate problem solved.

It appears to have been the on-board USB controller for my Asus A7m266 board (or some combination of the USB controller with the Cougar/TrackIR/SBLive).

Here is a summary of the combinations I tried and various measures of performance:
  1. Original config: TrackIR and Cougar plugged into motherboard USB controller.
    1. With no apps running and system idle, CPU load about 0%.
    2. With Game Commander 2 and TrackIR 2.0 running in the system tray, moving the mouse via TrackIR causes the CPU load to hover around 6%. These "idle" CPU results are roughly the same for every config I tried so I won't repeat them in subsequent tests.
    3. 4v4 in IL2 becomes a slideshow quickly, dropping to less than 1 fps at the merge (the "merge" is when you pass oncoming fighters head-on. Big test of the CPU load).
  2. Same as case 1 but I unplugged the Cougar HOTAS.
    1. IL2 4v4 now has OK frame rates, never dropping below about 20 fps even at the merge! I was surprised by this result, which suggests the Cougar plays a big factor.
  3. Installed a Siig USB2.0 5-port PCI card (NEC chip). Plugged Cougar into the PCI card and left the TrackIR plugged into the motherboard USB port.
    1. IL2 4v4 frame rates OK but not as good as case 2, dropping as low as 9 fps at times. Still an improvement...
  4. Disabled motherboard USB in BIOS. Plugged both TrackIR and Cougar into the PCI USB card.
    1. IL2 4v4 frame rates very acceptable, never dropping below 16 fps and non-dogfight fps indistinguishable from rates before TrackIR.
Although I've noticed a slight drop in frame rates with TrackIR running, the loss is very acceptable and pretty much what I expected prior to my initial purchase.

I'm still curious whether replacing the SBLive card would improve performance even more and have not tested this last recommendation. Since the current configuration is acceptable I think I'll forego the test or a sound card upgrade. Maybe the next time I upgrade...

Thanks to all for the recommendations and problem solving. This board has been very helpful, and a special thanks to the folks from NaturalPoint for "hitting the nail on the head".

Great support. I'll spread the word about TrackIR, the support, and the folks working there. Looking forward to more from you guys in the future.

Cheers!

Sweeper out.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Ill add my research in on this issue as well....

ASUS A7V333
AthalonXP 1800+ (cooled to 112 F)
1.2 GB DDR333 (PC2700)
GeForce3 Ti500
SB Audigy 2

With NP running on any page, memory useage is 7860-7896.

With it minimized, tracking and paused = 5% CPU.

With it on screen on main, hotkey, or profile page = 5% CPU

Motion page when tracking fast head movements = 12% CPU.

On Tracking page when tracking fast head movements = 21% CPU.

As I said, when minimized and tracking fast head movements, it sits at 5% CPU. Oh, thats with Outlook running minimized as well.
609IAP_Recon

Post by 609IAP_Recon »

very nice - glad you got it fixed!!!
12F_Soron

Post by 12F_Soron »

quote:Originally posted by sweeper:
[*]Disabled motherboard USB in BIOS. Plugged both TrackIR and Cougar into the PCI USB card.
Hello sweeper,

Amazing, I've exactly the same configuration (A7M266 AMD 1.4Ghz GForceIII 512 MO SBLive 5.1 , Cougar, IL2V1.2 and ... Trackir) and it seem we are making last week the same tests. Yes, monday, last week I've buy a PCI USB Card to see if there where upgrate of performances with this under windows XP.. and I've done the same conclusions like Yours -> no USB in BIOS.

-> BUT <-

I've done this because I've installed Windows XP on this system and this cause a big lost of perf.

So from last week I've switched again on Win98SE because XP is unsupportable with our system.

My test to help you.

with IL2 OpenGL 1024*768

On XP
without TIR AVG FPS -> 38
With TIR AVG FPS -> 22 (I don't remember if this test was with PCI USB Card)

On Win98SE
without track IR AVG FPS -> 48
with Track IR AVG FPS -> 46

So before USB/PCI card a lost of 15FPS in mean
now it's only 2 FPS.

Soron

(If you whant we can stay in contact since we have same hardware configuration -> send me a private mesage if you whant to give me your Email and exchange mutual tips)

[ March 04, 2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: 12F_Soron ]