"Unknown device" in Device Manager :\

Post Reply
adi518
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:25 am

"Unknown device" in Device Manager :\

Post by adi518 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:14 am

Tried solutions found in searching before opening this thread...

* nothing works *

I've got win 7 64-bit. Tried removing and re-installing several times, never pops-up the "installing drivers" balloon and it just stays there as "Unknown Device". I already eliminated the hardware possibility by plugging it to a 2nd computer, with windows xp, where it installed just fine and works perfectly.

Not sure what to do next. Just got off the mail eager to try it and I can't lol.. :\

Btw, there isn't a "drivers" folder in the installation folder so can't even do a manual driver install. The program itself is installed and works fine, it's something with the driver files that do not install right.

NaturalPoint-Dustin
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Re: "Unknown device" in Device Manager :\

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 am

Hello,

I would like to remote into your system and find out what is going on. Please submit a ticket at:

help.naturalpoint.com

I look forward to assisting you.
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav

adi518
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:25 am

Re: "Unknown device" in Device Manager :\

Post by adi518 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:27 pm

I fixed the problem! I had a permission problem avoiding the drivers from properly installing, only setup didn't prompt with an error, it gave a casual "installed successfully" msg. As result, it also didn't create a "drivers" folder in the install dir, for the occasion of needing to manually install the drivers. I then found in this forum a download for just the driver files and tried to install it manually, then I got the access denied which several hours later led me to the understanding it was few files in system32/driverstore causing the problem. I fixed the problem by deleting 4 files in the "DriverStore" folder, excluding 'drvindex.dat' and that fixed the permission problem and allowed the drivers to finally install.

I'm not enjoying TIR!

There's quite a learning curve though... didn't find the sweet spot yet... those graphs are a bit intricate to understand. :mrgreen:

Post Reply