TIR & FB...is it worth it?

Siggi

TIR & FB...is it worth it?

Post by Siggi »

Once you've got it working it's a bloody marvel. I've just got thru testing it in enhanced mode and they've got everything spot-on. Filtering, dead-zone, centering...perfectermundo.

So yes, if you can get it working it's worth it. If you can't get it working by yourself you'll find enough knowledgeable people here who've been thru the wringer who'll be sure to get you up and running.

But...only in supported games. Enhanced mode (supported) it's worth every penny. In non-supported games, either give it a miss or rag on your developer/publisher to support it. It's worth the effort.
Hotdognz

Re: TIR & FB...is it worth it?

Post by Hotdognz »

Sorry Siggi I cant agree with you here and I would be supprised at how many games you have tired it in in Mouse mode, come on name them ?? so then we can discuess why you found it crap in mouse look games

FYI I have and still play using Track IR in these games that only support mouse mode and I have NO trouble using it at all, at the best i would say its the operator who is useless

Janes F18
Insane (offroad car racing)
GPL
Micropose Gunship
EAW
Strike Fighters P1
Mig Ally
OPFP (flying helos & driving)

Out of the games above the only one I have trouble with and need to recenter a lot os Mig Ally, all the others work fine and much better than IL2 did for me in mouse mode (remember I gave up Il2 untill I could get IL2 FB with Absolute mode) Of course it took me some time to get my setting right and at times in all the games I lose the center so have to recenter it but its still 75% better than using a HAT or Mouse for viewing.

Myself I think it all comes down to the operator and I just dont think you have the patience to be able to use it in other games as its just to akward for you to adjust too (my opinion) I think you will find that you stand with about 20% of people who just couldnt get used to mouse viewing in games using there TIR units the other 80% are happy campers.

But hey each to there own and im glad you have it working and love Absolute mode in Il2
and when you want to rag on a developer for it to be used in a game you next want I feel sorry for that Dev with you screaming at them for it to be included Go get them Siggi
Siggi

Post by Siggi »

I guess I like stuff to work close to 100%. Mouse-mode is around 75% imo, and not viable for me. If it works for you that's great, but I'm as entitled to my opinion as you are. People are entitled to hear both sides (which they get here), then they can make an informed decision. Is that a problem for you?
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

I agree with you Siggi on that people need to hear what everyone has to say about TIR and its use within games using Mouse Look, I just question what games you had tried it with as you didnt say yet was telling eveyone not to get it if using games that only supported mouse look, where as I think mouse look works fine in all the games I have tried and I think probly about 80% of the other users wouldnt have a promblem either with it
Siggi

Post by Siggi »

I have to admit I haven't tried it in any games other than Il2 and FB.

There's no way it's precise enough for any FPS using mouse-mode imo, and with the limit-bounce the loss of centre is too critical for a sim furball. I guess with any sim that allows 360-degree panning it'll work ok, assuming that loss of center is a bounce issue only.
Hotdognz

Post by Hotdognz »

Ah Siggi we get to the Truth

A for FPS I dont use it myself as I found it useless, but really man I think your overstepping a mark when you recomend people dont buy it if there just going to use mouse view as you cant tell them as you have never tried it in any game other than Il2 FB and IL which you found it useless in all though Im sure DNME will tell you otherwise regarding Il2.
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

I think that for 'twitch' games like Unreal and Quake, we're pretty close to useless. However, I've been having a great time with 2.01 and Morrowind, and have just started Rainbow Six: Raven Shield. With R6:RnS there is huge promise here, thanks to the new fluid motion interface. We'll never be as accurate as a mouse, but in games where pixel accuracy is not as much of a concern, I think that we add a lot in terms of immersion.

Of course, we still have a long way to go before we're where I want us to be, but try it out in a few games (using it in conjunction with the mouse in Operation: Flashpoint is also quite cool). and give us your feedback.
DNME

Post by DNME »

Hotdog,

I sure can recommend TrackIR in any flightsim which supports mouselook. TrackIR in enhanced mode is very nice, but lack of native support is hardly a reason to give it a miss in flightsims which only support mouselook.

In fact it's always been a bit too good in mouselook mode. Because trackIR in mouselook was (and i supose still is) considered as cheating in IL2 in no padlock games by the same individual who started this thread. LOL Now he has one himself, so go figure hehe
Siggi

Post by Siggi »

quote:Originally posted by DNME:
Hotdog,

I sure can recommend TrackIR in any flightsim which supports mouselook. TrackIR in enhanced mode is very nice, but lack of native support is hardly a reason to give it a miss in flightsims which only support mouselook.

In fact it's always been a bit too good in mouselook mode. Because trackIR in mouselook was (and i supose still is) considered as cheating in IL2 in no padlock games by the same individual who started this thread. LOL Now he has one himself, so go figure heheExcuse me? I've never called TIR a cheat, though I would look dimly on anyone hosting a game with padlock disabled who was himself using TIR.
DNME

Post by DNME »

quote:Originally posted by Siggi:
Excuse me? I've never called TIR a cheat, Yeah right