TIR2 not compatible with HT?

ShaK

TIR2 not compatible with HT?

Post by ShaK »

I was just getting ready t oorder the TIR2. Then I read this thread under runtime error.

So TIR2 is not compatible with HyperThreading? I built this PC for speed and Im not disableing HT.

I dont want to waste $130 for something that might not work.

Is it only a few that have this problem or is it a real issue?

RIG
MSI 875p NEO
P4 3.08 gig @ 800 FSB
Kingston HyperX 1 gig @ 400
FX 5200 (upgradeing to FX 5950 ultr, before Christmas)
Dual 80 gig RAID configured HD
wklink

Re: TIR2 not compatible with HT?

Post by wklink »

I wouldn't say it's not compatable. I think there is a bug with it right now that has to be worked out.

It works for me, but it definately tends to be hit or miss. I am trying some of the work arounds, will see how well the work.
snake122

Post by snake122 »

quote:Originally posted by ShaK:
I was just getting ready t oorder the TIR2. Then I read this thread under runtime error.

So TIR2 is not compatible with HyperThreading? I built this PC for speed and Im not disableing HT.

I dont want to waste $130 for something that might not work.

Is it only a few that have this problem or is it a real issue?

RIG
MSI 875p NEO
P4 3.08 gig @ 800 FSB
Kingston HyperX 1 gig @ 400
FX 5200 (upgradeing to FX 5950 ultr, before Christmas)
Dual 80 gig RAID configured HDLike Tom said, it's more of a bug that needs fixing than a complete show stopper. One work arounds is changing the Affinity of the TrackIR software to 1 CPU instead of completely disabling HT. You will have to do this everytime you start the software (and I'm trying to find a fix for that too), but all of your other programs will still be able to to use HT.
I'd still tell you to buy a TracK IR 2.
ShaK

Post by ShaK »

Thanks for your replies...

I have had this posted in a few other forums as well and with the responces I got, I believe I will be buying!

I previously assumed that most people could not use TIR2 with HT when that is not the cast. Just some tweeking needs to be done...(mostly EVERYTHING for pc these days needs tweeking here or there to work properly)

[ November 08, 2003, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: ShaK ]
Latka

Post by Latka »

I've got TrackIR2, the latest drivers, and a HT CPU - it's annoying at first, but once you set the affinity for the process in the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen so that CPU 1 is the only one checked things seem to work ok. LOMAC runs like a champ with it, and I haven't had a crash in FS2004 since doing the little workaround. The only down side to that is that you've gotta do it each time you start up TrackIR.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

iirc there is a Windows program that'll write a config so that a .exe will always run with a set processor affinity.

Would save the hassles... just can't remember what it is.

Anyone done a check on MSDN or Intel.com...?
Birch

Post by Birch »

Hello all,

We are working on this problem right now. As soon as there is a potential fix for it we will put up a new public beta. Thank you for your patience while we work this out.

quote:Originally posted by Magic Man:
iirc there is a Windows program that'll write a config so that a .exe will always run with a set processor affinity.

Would save the hassles... just can't remember what it is.

Anyone done a check on MSDN or Intel.com...?There is a program which you can use to force the affinity mask for an executable. Keep in mind that it permanently changes the executable to do this. You can download it from the following site (or from other sites too, probably) :

http://www.robpol86.com/tutorials/imagecfg.php

[ November 10, 2003, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Birch Zimmer ]
Birch

Post by Birch »

There is a new version of the trackIR software (3.02 Beta 1) for download which addresses the "Runtime Error". It may be downloaded from the following location :

http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/ ... Beta01.exe