End Of TrackIR

Lou Betros

End Of TrackIR

Post by Lou Betros »

I have today removed TrackIR from my FS2004 system and packed it carefully away in its box. The problem: although the device does work as the literature promises I find that it does not improve the realism of the sim. In fact it makes things worse. I find it impossible to land a plane when TrackIR is enabled with a 2D cockpit view -- can't tell where the runway is! Things are a little better with a 3D view but still not worthwhile.

I consider that I have given the device a valid test run. I am an active private pilot and a computer programmer and am not a stranger to technical devices.

TrackIR is a neat idea. Too bad it does not make a good addition to sim flight realism.

Lou
Wayne

Re: End Of TrackIR

Post by Wayne »

Lou,

I am sorry that you feel as if TrackIR has not made your flying enjoyable.

It sounds as if you have something not quite right.
"I find it impossible to land a plane when TrackIR is enabled with a 2D cockpit view"... TrackIR should have no effect while in this view, so I am not sure what you mean.

I would be more than happy to help you set your unit up and to send you the profile that I use.
nubelius

Post by nubelius »

I don�t agree, i had lot of problems my first days with the TrackIr2, i even smashed it to the floor...Lucky for me my friend did not want his, so i have one anyway...

I had the same problem as you when i started to use TrackIr, after a little practice i think it�s great...

My TrackIr only works in 3-D mod, should it work in 2-D ?????

[ June 28, 2004, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: nubelius ]
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

nubelius,

Under normal circumstances TrackIR should only work in the virtual cockpit.

The reason that TrackIR worked in 2D cockpit mode is that in the FS9.cfg you can alter and set "Pan_in_cockpit_mode=1" instead of zero.

I have not actually tried this, but Lou has, so I am unsure how effective this, I will try to find time to try this out.

So

[ June 29, 2004, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Wayne ]
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I cant stand the 2d pit. Got to have the 3d.

I think the TIR experiance in FS2004 in unbeleivable. It really does bring the level of realism up.... not near the real thing but a heck of a lot cheaper!

Lou: You just have to practice with it. It is a whole new concept of user interfacing... never knew you moved your head so much did you? Takes a week to get used to it. Stick with it... you will like it.
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

Lou, too bad you're cheating yourself by not taking the time to make it work for you.

It's the type of device that does not work magically out of the box but requires a good deal of tweaking because everyone sits at different heights and distances from their monitor but even if you have that squared away you have to tweak the response curve to better mimick natural head movement.

I would almost guarantee that it's not working well for you simply because you don't have a large enough deadzone and it tends to jitter too much when you try to concentrate on the landing strip. With a large enough deadzone you don't have to keep your head absolutely still to keep the screen from moving while looking directly out front.

Also, if you are getting a low framerate from the game as it is, TIR will make it slightly worse if it's not set up properly but it might help to bring down your detail levels so your computer can handle it if indeed you do have a slower system that doesn't give you a steady 60+ fps.

Everyone I've got hooked onto TIR (and there are many of them) have all had a rough start at first until they gave it and themselves a bit of time and effort to get used to the way TIR extrapolates head movement.

Hopefully you will be able to get past the learning curve like we all had to as frustrating as it can be.

If we can do it I'm sure you can too.
GOZR

Post by GOZR »

Track ir is the futur of gaming and other applications.

Too bad for you..

It was hard at start but i decided that i had no other choice so i touk the time to get use to it and to SETUP THE TRACK IR TO ME. Now it is perfect and will NOT FLY WITH OUT IT period>>

It can be better by using two of them on tracking the sides movement to improove the moves..
I can test for it.
GOZR

Post by GOZR »

Too bad for you..

It was hard at start but i decided that i had no other choice so i touk the time to get use to it and to SETUP THE TRACK IR TO ME. Now it is perfect and will NOT FLY WITH OUT IT period>>

It can be better by using two of them on tracking the sides movement to improove the moves..
I can test for it.
GOZR

Post by GOZR »

Too bad for you..

I can test for it.
wilburnator

Post by wilburnator »

It took me about an hour or two to arrive at a decent usable profile. I used the product briefly in IL2 FB but got frustrated. At first it seemed to make aiming difficult because I was trying to "steer" the gunsite to the target using my head. Lol. Anyhow, I didn't use it for a while, because flying without it seemed easier. But later I became determined to get used to it, seeing as how I'd laid out some good $ for it. After using it a couple of days heavily, I began to realise how cool it is. It just takes some getting used to. That and setting up a stick button to center the unit in the event that things get out of whack in heavy combat (this was a crucial thing for me) Now I feel helpless in a cockpit locked game without it. I just ordered TIR3 with the vector expansion I liked TIR2 some much. You really need to give it another go.

[ February 25, 2005, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: wilburnator ]