Newbie Question

sr71_sr71

Newbie Question

Post by sr71_sr71 »

Hi Folks.

I have been using TrackIR 3 Pro for 1 month now, and have downloaded all the latest software etc.

I think it is a great addition to my collection of PC addons, which I mainly use to control the MS Flightsim 2004 virtual cockpit view. It works very well, no problems.

Have a question though. In MSFS 2004 there is the possiblity to assign "tilt" controls to the view, which appear to simulate head tilt movements. Is there anyway that TrackIR can be used for this? Could TrackIR monitor 2 reflective dots maybe, compare their locations, and in turn produce tilt?

Look forward to hearing from anyone.

David Martin.

[ June 24, 2004, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: sr71_sr71 ]
Wayne

Re: Newbie Question

Post by Wayne »

sr71_sr71,

A third axis and multi-dot support is something that we are looking at, but at present it is sometime down the road.
sr71_sr71

Post by sr71_sr71 »

quote:Originally posted by Wayne:
sr71_sr71,

A third axis and multi-dot support is something that we are looking at, but at present it is sometime down the road. Or maybe it could be a different shape reflective patch/dot instead of 2, a long enough rectangle for example? That might make development easier instead of adding tracking for an extra patch/dot, but you could still track its angle. I presume the software is doing most of the computational work.

Just so that you know, I noticed the requirement more when having a look round the MSFS2004 virtual cockpit on the 737, 747 and 777 etc. They have quite large complex cockpits, with instruments between the pilot and co-pilot seats. When looking at those instruments, I felt myself naturally wanting the view movement to tilt.

I don�t actually use MSFS2004 for those monster aircraft, I am a trainee pilot in the real world and therefore mainly use the Cessna range. But it seemed to be a neat idea.

I am also kind of interested how TrackIR would work with a video or VR headset, always wanted to try one of those but the cost is unreal when adding on the tracking. TrackIR might just bring that cost down, although I cannot seem to find cheap headsets anymore. Oh well.

Thanks

David

[ June 25, 2004, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: sr71_sr71 ]
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

sr71_sr71,

I have to agree with you this would be a welcome feature, and this is why we are looking into this.

As far as the VR headset goes I would say as long as your unit could track and the headset was working in very much the same way as a monitor then I don�t see why not.

However I have not tested this, although at this time I can not find a valid reason why it shouldn�t.