programmable sticks + TIR: "lost" key-strokes

DonULFonso
Location: near THE Neandert(h)al (Germany for all Homo Sapiens)

programmable sticks + TIR: "lost" key-strokes

Post by DonULFonso »

I'm a new and already addicted user of the TrackIR 3 Pro - it rocks, and I wonder how I ever could do without it so long!

One issue I came across when setting up my programmable joystick for the TrackIR was this:

The "enable/disable"-key works fine when pressed on the keyboard, but when assigned to a joystick-button not all key-strokes generated by the stick are picked up properly by the TrackIR.

With the "trap"-setting disabled I could verify that my joystick's software does output the according key-strokes properly, i.e. each and any time I'm pressing the mapped button. However, the TrackIR often doesn't seem to pick up such a key-stroke when sent by the joystick.

The other TrackIR-keys seem to work fine when programmed onto my stick: I never had any issues with re-centering, for instance; swapping mouse-/enhanced-mode works fine, too. The only function that doesn't work the way it should is the "enable/disable"-function when programmed to my joystick: sometimes and rather frequently single key-strokes seem to get "lost" between my joystick (that does generate and send all key-strokes) and the TrackIR (that doesn't seem to "see" some of them, though).

My joystick is ThrustMaster's HOTAS Cougar combo; it's a USB-device. My OS is Windows XP Pro German with SP1. Both the TrackIR and the HOTAS Cougar are plugged into the powered USB-HUB on the back of my monitor.

Just FYI: I would consider myself an experienced computer-user (I started a decade back on DOS and Windows 3.11 and always had a computer since then), and a power-user where ThrustMaster-joysticks are concerned (I'm a TM-user since more than a decade now, and I love to tweak their programming); I've tested what I could think of to ensure it's not my own fault as a new TrackIR-user, and I know that the according key-strokes all get generated and sent by my joystick - why the TrackIR seems to happen to let some "slip" through unnoticed is the point I don't understand.

Could the "problem" be that I've got both plugged into the powered USB-HUB of my monitor? I never had any issues with my stick being plugged into it, but probably the TrackIR doesn't "like" it?

Or could this be a "problem" caused by the "virtual" keyboard-emulator of my joystick, in addition to the "normal" keyboard (not USB, BTW)?

Either way: the TrackIR does work, and the HOTAS Cougar does send the key-strokes...

Any ideas, anyone?

P.S.: I'll be leaving for a 2 weeks vacation tomorrow, so I won't be able to re-visit this thread for possble answers/solutions prior to the middle of this month.

The reason I've done post this before leaving is that if this should be an issue of the communication between my USB-joystick working as a keyboard-emulator and the TackIR, then 2 weeks may be enough time to look into it.

If it's "just" a matter of using a differnet USB-port, then, well: I'll be re-installing my OS from scratch after my holidays anyway, but since almost all USB-ports are already in use I would have to swap 'em around to "free" a port on the MB, then.

[ July 31, 2004, 05:06 AM: Message edited by: DonULFonso ]
edbert

Re: programmable sticks + TIR: "lost" key-strokes

Post by edbert »

I don't know for sure Don (hi there CW-dude) but I had a few USB issues as well. I had a USB keyboard and my mouse and Cougar were both plugged into the keyboards ports, there was a printer connected as well. The TIR was not happy with that arrangement however. I switched to a PS2 keyboard, unplugged the printer; and lowered the CPU utilization of the TIR by about 50% (from 4 to 2 percent when minimized). I was quite suprised how unhappy IL2/FB/AEP was with giving up ~3% of the CPU but it was. When I fly now I have only a mouse, the Cougar, and the TIR pluged in, I've only got 4 USB ports and they are v1.1, I've been planning a MB/CPU upgrade for about 6 months. Intel has announced drastic price cuts on theirs in about the middle on August, and AMD usually follows suit.

In other words, try flying with as few USB devices as possible and see.
DonULFonso

Post by DonULFonso »

Well, I'll definitively try it after my vacation - it doesn't cost anything to do this. However, I wouldn't wanna be forced to un- and later re-plug everything if this shouldn't be absolutely necessary - that wouldn't be any kind of sports I'd fancy .

What I wonder still is how it can be possible that my stick does generate the key-strokes but my head-tracker doesn't see all of 'em , though. It shouldn't matter which device - a 'real' keyboard (PS2, BTW) or a 'virtual' keyboard(-emulator) - happens to send a key-stroke, should it?

I hope to find some answer/fix to my issue in about 2 weeks ...
Sulky

Post by Sulky »

Hi Ulf,
In my experience the TIR doesnt much like hub sharing with a Cougar, although better with a powered hub. The new Cougar s/ware is a step forward in this area though.
You may be looking at an area of the TIR software that needs a little rework. It still has probs with combination keys. While talking about the software, I would like to point out a nagging irritation that has remained through several software revisions. The TrackIR has several keyboard hotkeys that control unit operation (Enable/disable, center, motion mode, etc.). The important hotkeys are default mapped to several of the function keys, and there is an option to change the default keymappings. Unfortunately, there is no way to map the hotkeys to any key combination (shift+F12, alt+F12). If a key is mapped to F12 and shift+F12 is pressed, the software still recognizes this as an F12 input. This means in-game actions cannot be mapped to any of the hotkeys assigned within the TrackIR software without a conflict. This can be a problem in some flight simulators like Falcon 4.0, IL-2, or LOMAC where just about every key available can have an associated action. If the software could allow for key combinations, it would allow for more flexibility in assigning key mappings. A key assignment could easily be found that wouldn't change the default game mappings, instead of making sure the game key mapping does not interfere with TrackIR operation.
For your and my purposes the best keys to allocate to our TIR units would be the multi combination keys. ie Alt+Ctrl+shift+F12. I think that eventually we'll see a rewrite of the TIR software. We saw it with the Cougar s/ware and that was a miracle when compared with the likelyhood that sim development and market forces will combine to pressure a TIR rewrite.
Untill then, dont let the TIR bang your head on that sloping roof in your ops area.
Sulky aka OF
DonULFonso

Post by DonULFonso »

Generally, it sure would be great to be allowed to use any key(-comination), but actually, I'd prefer analog DirectX-buttons - they at least never interfere with a game's mapping (the common 1st buttons put aside).
DonULFonso

Post by DonULFonso »

Just wanted to report that after a fresh re-install of Windows everything's fine now.