Track IR Pro 3 = USB 2.0 ?

Slice

Track IR Pro 3 = USB 2.0 ?

Post by Slice »

Hi

I can't seem to find the actual specs for the TrackIR 3 Pro is it actually USB 2.0 ?

What about the other Track IR versions?
Pruitt

Re: Track IR Pro 3 = USB 2.0 ?

Post by Pruitt »

As far as I know, you can use USB 1.1 or 2.0. I've tried it in both and I haven't seen much of a difference. I have a 1.1 hub built into the base of my monitor so I have mine plugged into there to keep the wire tangle to a minimum. Heh heh... It seems to work fine with it in the 1.1 hub.

Have Fun!
Slice

Post by Slice »

OK thanks Pruitt, I think USB devices are compatible either way i.e 1.1 device in a 2.0 port or 2.0 in a 1.1 port all those give you 1.1 speed of course.

What I wanted to know was it USB 2.0 which is much more effecient and higher bandwidth left for other USB devices.

The fact NaturalPoint say don't plug it into a USB hub suggests it takes all the bandwidth and it's only 1.1.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

TrackIR and Smart-NAV are both USB 1.1 and 2.0 compatable.
Slice

Post by Slice »

Hi Wayne, thanks for the response however I know that, everyone says the same, the specs say the same.

Wow this is difficult to get to the bottom of - a simple question is met with the stock answer everywhere

I explained above that's not what I want to know. I want to know if TrackIR3 actually uses a USB2.0 chipset - is it actually USB2.0 rather than "compatible" which isn't the same thing??
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Sounds to me that the TIR is using USB1.1 speeds.
Not surprisingly either. You're not moving megabytes of data anyway.
Same with TM Cougar.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Guys,

Our device utilizes the "Full Speed" component of the USB 2.0 specification, which means it is compatible with USB 2.0.

It does not utilze the "Hi Speed" component of the USB 2.0 specification though.

Please see the link that I have included, which may help.

http://www.crucial.com/library/understanding_usb.asp
Slice

Post by Slice »

Ok thanks Wayne,

Low speed is USB1.0
Full speed is 1.1
High speed is 2.0

USB1.1 works (i.e is 'compatible') in USB2.0 ports, so that's why you guys kep saying USB2.0 compatible because it sounds sexier.

However in a very round about way we have the answer ....

basically trackIR3 is USB 1.1.

You guys should become politicians

You can't actually say your product is USB2.0 because it isn't, but you like to tag it onto the modern "USB2.0" hype by saying USB2 compat everywhere and never say it is USB1.1. Don't get me wrong I am not knocking you, I bought a trackIR3 Pro recently but I like to know the facts about what I buy
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

quote:Originally posted by Slice:
Ok thanks Wayne,

Low speed is USB1.0
Full speed is 1.1
High speed is 2.0

USB1.1 works (i.e is 'compatible') in USB2.0 ports, so that's why you guys kep saying USB2.0 compatible because it sounds sexier.

However in a very round about way we have the answer ....

basically trackIR3 is USB 1.1.

You guys should become politicians

You can't actually say your product is USB2.0 because it isn't, but you like to tag it onto the modern "USB2.0" hype by saying USB2 compat everywhere and never say it is USB1.1. Don't get me wrong I am not knocking you, I bought a trackIR3 Pro recently but I like to know the facts about what I buy Ah, the facts...

Don't be so quick to blame them for this Slice because it is USB 2.0 compatible just like they say. NaturalPoint didn't create the USB spec and just about every other USB device made these days that runs at the slower USB2.0/USB1.1 speed will have the USB2.0 moniker stamped on it only with "Full Speed" instead of "Hi Speed"

It's too bad that it's up to the buyer to have educate themselves on the difference between Full Speed and Hi Speed but we're still trying to figure out why a 2ghz AMD processor can match an Intel 3ghz one let alone why a GeForce3 card can be faster than a GeForce4 one.

As for the device itself it's not a an external hard-drive or a memory card so all that extra speed is irrelevent when the TIR3 runs at 120hz doncha think? The really important part is that it is compatible on a USB2.0 system.

So considering the nomenclature that's prevalent on just about every tech product out there from TV's to toasters it really shouldn't be much of an adjustment from anything else. I'll settle for villifying the spec writers' marketing departments.

[ September 10, 2004, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Charvel ]
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

I've seen some prices from distributors at work. Some even have the nerve to charge more for the so-called USB2.0 cables. They're more expensive than the anonymous cables. Ofcourse, both types works identical in practice