Strange FS9 Problem

sr71_sr71

Strange FS9 Problem

Post by sr71_sr71 »

I run FS9, ActiveCamera, VFR, FS Terrain, FS Navigator, which all runs under XP Pro SP1.

Since adding TrackIR3 to my setup, I have noticed that when adjusting the autopilot values for heading, or spead, or course, I cannot alter the units value. So I cannot use the mouse to change from 201 to 202, it will only let me change from 200 to 210 or 310?

I have reinstalled my entire machine, and know that this problem only occurs when the TrackIR 3 software is active. I can switch it on and off, and the problem comes and goes etc.

Has anyone seen this before, or know what might be wrong?

I have posted this in the FS9 forum also.

David Martin.
Wayne

Re: Strange FS9 Problem

Post by Wayne »

sr71_sr71,

We are aware of this issue and it is something that we are working on. The reason why so few users are affected is because almost everyone uses FSUIPC, which has a checkbox for Control Acceleration and stops this anomaly from occurring.
Fibble

Post by Fibble »

I had the same problem. I just loaded version 3.30 of FSUIPC and it seems to be fixed. Although I'm not sure why my version 3.21 wasn't working, since the acceleration issue hadn't been address since version 2.85 or so.

Anyway ...

Download FSUIPC at
http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Put the FSUIPC.DLL file in the MODULES folder under your FS9 folder, and you're done.
sr71_sr71

Post by sr71_sr71 »

quote:Originally posted by Wayne:
sr71_sr71,

We are aware of this issue and it is something that we are working on. The reason why so few users are affected is because almost everyone uses FSUIPC, which has a checkbox for Control Acceleration and stops this anomaly from occurring.Hello.

Sorry for the delay with my reply.

In a way this makes sense, as I am not using FSUIPC.

At least I know that you have this one on the list, and can wait until a software release etc.

Thanks.

David Martin
sr71_sr71

Post by sr71_sr71 »

quote:Originally posted by Fibble:
I had the same problem. I just loaded version 3.30 of FSUIPC and it seems to be fixed. Although I'm not sure why my version 3.21 wasn't working, since the acceleration issue hadn't been address since version 2.85 or so.

Anyway ...

Download FSUIPC at
http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Put the FSUIPC.DLL file in the MODULES folder under your FS9 folder, and you're done. Thanks for the FSUIPC advice, however I found that unless I was online flying, I had no need for this module.

For the registration fee of 23.20 euros, are there any major benefits of running FSUIPC on a standalone machine? I have read the website, but it looks more like an interface for other applications, in effect a API layer to r/w FS data, but I could be missing something possibly?

David.
Fibble

Post by Fibble »

It is true that you "shouldnt" need this module, and that the unregistered version of FSUIPC adds little value to single player flight mode. However, if you use utilities like AFCAD (or anything else that requires coordinates from FS9) then you need FSUIPC. Also, if it would stabilize TIR, then it is worth it to load the module.

On the other hand, I may need to revise my previous answer. I loaded the most recent version of FSUIPC and reported that the 10-degree jump problem went away. Well it almost did - it is now intermittent. That is, I am turning a knob and it is working properly and suddenly it is jumping by 10-degrees again. Not just cockpit knobs, but the trim control as well. VERY difficult to set up a landing with trim controls jumping by 10 notches instead of 1.

I am running WinXP Pro. I have an Intel D875PBZ mobo with an intel 2.8Ghz CPU, 1Gb RAM, GeForce4 Ti4600 video card, none of which is overclocked.

Hopefully someone smarter than me (which shouldnt be difficult) will come up with a solution...?
steku

Post by steku »

Hey Wayne!

I really doubt if you are really working on this issue! This problem is known for more than a year (look at other posts)! I'm afraid it's marketing talk...

If trim setting is affected too, fying with TrackIR will be not possible

If you can't track the source of the problem in your software, maybe it's possible to publish a complete discussion (maybe after a user survey) when this issue appears (which planes are affected, which version of FSUIPC solves this etc.).

[ September 12, 2004, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: steku ]
sr71_sr71

Post by sr71_sr71 »

quote:Originally posted by Fibble:
It is true that you "shouldnt" need this module, and that the unregistered version of FSUIPC adds little value to single player flight mode. However, if you use utilities like AFCAD (or anything else that requires coordinates from FS9) then you need FSUIPC. Also, if it would stabilize TIR, then it is worth it to load the module.

On the other hand, I may need to revise my previous answer. I loaded the most recent version of FSUIPC and reported that the 10-degree jump problem went away. Well it almost did - it is now intermittent. That is, I am turning a knob and it is working properly and suddenly it is jumping by 10-degrees again. Not just cockpit knobs, but the trim control as well. VERY difficult to set up a landing with trim controls jumping by 10 notches instead of 1.

I am running WinXP Pro. I have an Intel D875PBZ mobo with an intel 2.8Ghz CPU, 1Gb RAM, GeForce4 Ti4600 video card, none of which is overclocked.

Hopefully someone smarter than me (which shouldnt be difficult) will come up with a solution...?Hmmm, interesting. I use AFCAD, but never needed to load FSUIPC?? Where does this link come in, what are you doing that AFCAD needs this, as again maybe I am missing something in AFCAD?

It appears however that FSUIPC does not solve the problem for me, so the stability for this issue remains unstable. On saying that however, I dont really use autopilot functionality that much. This issue jumped out when I was mucking around with the boeing range, but as I say I dont spend much time flying those, or using autopilot.

Technically I am drawn to FSUIPC (and its SDK), and in the past have done some developement with it. Recently I had machine troubles, and only loaded what I "really" needed, installing XP SP2 along the way. One of the things I dropped was online flying, mainly because I am learning to fly in real life. It was then I realised that maybe I did not really need to use FSUIPC.

Having read others notes on this issue, is it true that this has been a bug for about a year now? Working for a software developement company myself, I can only presume that the demand for a solution is low. FSUIPC installed without registration does not fix the problem for me, hence I will not use that module, even though its a single DLL.

Is there anything else that we can do to test this issue? Any debug logs that we can run? Any further testing? Is it true that its been around for a year?

David.
steku

Post by steku »

quote: I use AFCAD, but never needed to load FSUIPC?? Where does this link come in, what are you doing that AFCAD needs this, as again maybe I am missing something in AFCAD? Using FSUIPC with AFCAD you can have FS2004 open and slew in FS2004 in sync with cursor position in AFCAD when you are designing taxiways etc. Everything is explained in AFCAD manual.

quote: Having read others notes on this issue, is it true that this has been a bug for about a year now? How long the isssue with 10-degrees incrementing is known? Look at this post:

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 2;t=000108

or this:

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 9;t=000027

Speaking the truth I lost hope that anybody at Natural Point cares about Flight Simulator users. I think they are targeting their product more to combat flight simulators or first person shooters
sr71_sr71

Post by sr71_sr71 »

Hi All.

Thanks for your information.

I can see the long history behind this issue, and can see that NaturalPoint have responded and undertaken some research. It is a shame that I had not fully searched this KB before I posted my article. ;-)

In the software industry, these types of situations arise. I work for a software developer, and we have had many issues that seem simple on the outside, but take for ever to resolve on the inside. As we know there are many more factors to take into account for given bugs, so it �might� (and I don�t know in this case) be that resolving this means a complete re-write of part of the software, OR, that other issues take precedence over this one. Who knows?

We can see that NaturalPoint are aware of the issue, and am sure that this will be resolved at some point. It is down to them to decide the importance of issues such as this, and feel confident that they have something up their sleeve for us. We must be supportive and wait for the solution, and whilst we have the time, we can all practice our flying skills without the autopilot ;-) Or use FSUIPC, as that appeared to be a workaround for others.

For me, I am going to play a political side step out of this issue. I am using FS2004 to practice various aspects of my real flying lessons, and as I am using a Cessna 152, I do not actually have an autopilot. I simply noticed this when mucking around with the Boeing range one day. Yes, ok, it seems to be a bug, but I can think of many other applications that also have bugs that we simply live with.

Thanks to everyone who responded back to my posts, I have learnt a great deal. I may well be going to invest in FSUIPC, that app simply seems to draw me in ;-)

Keep at it NaturalPoint!

David Martin.