Surrender

fbass

Re: Surrender

Post by fbass »

Regarding movement - as I stated previously, if I keep my head movement in a flat plane (along the X axis), I can get the green "cursor" to move right-to-left and back to both edges of the screen. Of course, trying to do that in an up-down direction is more difficult since my neck is not mounted on a spring.

Movement in a 3D setting does not cause the same amount of range. In fact, when I turn my head on the Y axiz, the "green" cursor does not move very much.

Regarding the use of a profile - I'm not using a profile - other than the settings I placed in my original post.

Regarding dead zone use - I did not see any setting for applying a dead zone.

Regarding installation - I use just the opposite method of locating the tracking elements. I have a flat aluminum strap that extendes (at eye level) out from my computer desk. I can move the tracker receiver back and forth on this strap. I will try attaching the reflector to something that is more circular (as in your example) to see if that makes the movements more natural. Of course this still does not address the problem of non-operation in FS but I guess we'll have to take some "baby steps" before we can get there.

I have found that the closer you get to the receiver, the more unstable the "green" cursor gets - by that I mean it does not remain green but turns white.

Note: I don't know if this is associated with my problems but when I use the user interface software, the regular MS mouse cursor is also on the screen and when I move my head back and forth, the cursor moves as well. In fact, it moves more like what I would have expected the tracking to display on the interface - except it moves in the opposite direction from my head movements. When I turn my head to the right on the Y axis, the cursor moves to the left and vice versa. (I have an optical USB mouse)

Thanks gentlemen for your assistance. At least it seems we're moving in a somewhat positive fashion.

fb
fbass

Post by fbass »

New developments:

I tried the reflector attachment solution using a cylindrical element and the improvement to movement stability was pronounced. I think this keeps the reflector surface linked more strongly to the receiver as opposed to a flat installation.

I also tried inverting the X and Y axis functions and that resulted in the mouse cursor following my head movements as you would expect - in other words when I turn my head to the right, the cursor moves right. This action is also reflected when FS is running.

Unfortunately, all of this still does not produce any operational impact in FS.

BTW - I thought I read someplace in this forum that when the receiver was operational, it was supposed to have a blue led light - mine does not. The green and red leds illuminate but I don't have a blue one.

fb
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

Does the software say "TrackIR Enhanced" in the bottom right hand corner? If not, press F8 until it does as you will need this to look around in FS. The windows mouse cursor will no longer move around either.

The LED should have a green LED on at the top as well when it's tracking a dot.

Gotta run to work I'll try to comment more tonight...
steku

Post by steku »

On my TrackIR2 there are two LEDs:

Green/red LED - located on top of the unit (green when the unit is tracking, red when not).

Blue LED - located somewhere on the bottom or inside which illuminates the bottom on the unit when it is in Enhanced Mode (AFAIK required by FS2004).

I think that movement of your cursor means that you are not in Enhanced Mode... Check this...
fbass

Post by fbass »

HOUSTON! WE HAVE LIFTOFF!!!!!

OK, now all of the things have come together to produce a functioning device. Now I'll have to play with the settings so that I don't make myself totally ill trying to take off with the view going all over the screen.

And - wonder of wonders - I have a blue light! "Ain't technology wonderful!"

Also, for all of you who exhibited great patience with the old man, I thank you.

[ September 21, 2004, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: fbass ]
steku

Post by steku »

Sensitivity issue was discussed a lot of times on this forum. I recommend doing some search.

General directions:
1. Play with Speed (lower speed, especially in on Y axis) and Edit Points on Motion Page.
2. Increase Smoothing on Motion Page.
3. Try to move TrackIR farther from you.
4. If you are using and extension arm mounted to your headphones try to make it shorter.

I can't give you any examples of settings bacause I'm using TrackIR2 which is less sensitive AFAIK.
fbass

Post by fbass »

Thanks for your response.

Regarding speed - I have both axis set to 0.

Regarding smooth settings - I have it set at 80 now.

I will play with the install distance to see if that helps with the sensitivity.

Again, thanks.

fb
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

Great news! So it was the absolute mode after all.

Ok, on a side note smoothing will make the apparant precision higher and less jerky although hardly much of a problem with TIR3's high refresh rate, but it comes at a cost. The higher your smoothing, the more input lag you will experience.

Just play around with it as you undoubtedly will over the next few weeks to get a feel for it and find where you are most comfortable. I like mine at 60 and find less lag more useful.

Optimal distance of the dot from receiver is somewhere between 18" and 24". If you find that the dot flys off the edge of your motion page black screen before you hit the comfortable limit of head movement while keeping your eyes on the monitor then you may need to increase the distance. Ideally it stays on the screen, and uses up the whole screen throughout your range of movement.

Once that is set, start lowering the edit points of your profile and testing in game until it feels more natural moving. Ideally, you want to have a bit of a deadzone while staring straight ahead so you don't have to hold your head absolutely still just to look out the window but not too big that it holds to much when you want to glance out the sides. generally a curved bowl shape on the horizontal and "C" shape on the verticle will get you started or use one of our profiles as a basis to tweak your own. Here are some of the other beta tester's profiles you can try (look on the right side of the page):

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/games/msfs2004.html

You are on your way, enjoy the view!
fbass

Post by fbass »

Thanks so much for your help.

My next problem is the edit points and how you configure items like the dead zone. I'm not sure about this concept so I guess I'll have to keep digging. This part of the user interface is not very friendly nor is it well-explained - at least not for me.

fb
fbass

Post by fbass »

Now that we have discovered the operational requirements, how on earth do you get the tracker to stop being so sensitive. I've tried several different settings but nothing helps.

fb