Surrender

fbass

Surrender

Post by fbass »

Well gentlemen, you should take great pride. I have a graduate degree in computer science and over 36 years experience in the computer business and I've never been stumped by a problem as I have with this TrackIR device.

I've also not seen configuration instructions that were so difficult to understand that I couldn't bull my way to success. I would bet an engineer wrote and developed the user interface.

Anyway, I can't get this device (trackIR 3 Pro) to work. Here is my installation.

I have the device plugged into a high-speed USB port on the main computer. The tracker is installed 24" from the sensor sticker (located on my headphones). The angle is downward but the software indicates the device is tracking. NOTE: I can take the tracker and hold it level with the sensor reflector at 24" and it still does not function.

My system is a Gateway 700XL, 2.54GHz, 2Gb RAM, 2 120Gb HDD, GeForce 6800 Ultra OC Extreme, and multiple USB connections. OS is MS XP Home. Application - FS9 (no other).

The profile is as follows:

Profile - FS2004
Mouse Override Delay - 0
Hot Keys - Disabled (except Motion Mode)
Motion Presets - Custom
Speed - 19
Edit Point - 0
Smoothing - 60
Axis Link - blue
Mode - trackIR Enhanced
Camera Rotation - 0
Preferred Object Size - 190
Tracking Preset - Dot
LEDs - On
Target Frame Rate - set to 60 in FS9

Software interface indicates tracking. Device LEDs indicate tracking.

In FS9 VC, no movement what-so-ever.

Only difficulty thus far with the installation is that every time you loose power or unplug the device, you have to reinstall the driver - why can't there be a saved pointer in the software to scan for the driver and/or installed profile when the device loads?

So, this is my problem. Could you please help?

fb
Charvel

Re: Surrender

Post by Charvel »

Ok, first of all what game/sim are you trying to get it to work in? I'm guessing FS2004.

I haven't installed FS2004 yet although I have it (but haven't had time to bother) but I think there might be an .inf setting in FS2004 to set for it to work. I think installing the driver turns this on however.

Does the tracking screen work fine showing a green dot on a black background? If so than everything should be fine and you just need to mess with FS2004 to get it to work. I think there's a key in the sim that you press to put yourself in virtual cockpit mode or something so look for that.

You shouldn't have any need to reinstall the driver every time you unplug it or lose power. Due to the vagaries of USB you HAVE to have the device unplugged to install the software.

Chances are it's that key in FS2004 holding you up and I suspect that it may require more RTFM than graduate degrees to get it going.

Good luck and if you still can't get it to work right just hang tight here and Wayne (from tech support) should be able to get you through it all in no time. NaturalPoint is very customer friendly from what I've seen and will go to just about any lengths to get it sorted.
fbass

Post by fbass »

Indeed it is FS2004 (FS9) - as stated in my post.

If there is a setting in FS2004 to make the tracker operate properly, shouldn't the documentation have an entry for this application? After all, FS9 is one of the most popular "gaming" applications.

As I stated in my post, the software appears to operate properly. The device appears to operate properly. Unfortunately, when combined with FS9, all you get is the "mouse pointer" going back and forth with no scene change (in VC mode).

I agree 100%. I shouldn't have to reinstall the driver but that is exactly what happens when you unplug the device.

As for RTFM, I've read it three times trying to get out the needed information - no luck. So, it is not for trying that I can't get this to work.

I don't know what "key" you are referring to. Since the tracker is a USB device, there should be no conflict with an application since these devices are OS dependent and not application dependent (disregarding the configuration application). Of course stored profiles are linked to applications but FS9 does not have this capability (autoload).

I'm not giving up - just looking for some enlightenment in the wilderness.

Thanks for your response. I very much appreciate it.

fb
fbass

Post by fbass »

TRACKIRFS2004.dll is in place in the "modules" folder.

I have fsuipc but I have never configured it for anything. Unless it was installed with a default setting, I am not using the configurations you mentioned.

Thank you very much for your response. Maybe TechSupport will see this and we can come to a resolution of this problem. I'm hoping.

One thing to note - as installed, the device feedback to the user interface is extremely erattic. No matter what settings I use, when I turn my head the mouse pointer and the position lines go all over the place.

fb
steku

Post by steku »

Did you check on Tracking page of TrackIR software if you have other sources of illumination (windows, mirrors, your body reflecting light from window)? If I understand correctly everything is OK if the color of tracked object is green and there are no other objects visible on tracking screen.

AFAIK FSUIPC with default setting can't be blamed as a source of problems with axis substitution I mentioned. So your problem have to be different than mine.

[ September 20, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: steku ]
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

quote:I don't know what "key" you are referring to. Since the tracker is a USB device, there should be no conflict with an application since these devices are OS dependent and not application dependent (disregarding the configuration application). Of course stored profiles are linked to applications but FS9 does not have this capability (autoload).
Ok, you are missing my meaning here. I'm talking about a key in FS2004 that you press to enable virtual cockpit mode. It's been quite some time since I set this up on a friends computer so it's hard to remember what all I did to get it going, but go it did.

I will install it and let you know if Wayne doesn't get you fixed up first, I've been meaning to anyway and might just find myself in your position.

As for the software uninstalling itself I've never heard of that happening to any device before and sounds really strange so perhaps there is some unique conflict between it and your system or perhaps a defective device. Even with a faulty device it seems strange for the OS to spontaneously uninstall the driver.

Does the computer give you a "ding dong" type sound when you unplug the device? If so, this is normal and you should be able to simply plug it back in without any issues or reinstall necessary, just start the TIR software again but I imagine you are already aware of this.

And my apologies on the RTFM I couldn't resist but wasn't intended to insult you. Actually the manual I refer to is the FS2004 one for the key I'm talking about. Again, my memory fails so I could be way off base with that advice, just trying to help.
fbass

Post by fbass »

Regarding illumination - I turn all the lights in the room off except a light off to the left (and behind) of the tracker in another room. There is no direct lighting affecting the receiver. In addition, the "green dot" appears on the screen with little or no reflective objects displayed.

Note: Displayed movement of the reflector sticker is totally two dimensional. In other words, I can move my head in a flat plane (up and down) and the movement is reflected on the displayed axis of the user interface. But, if I turn my head as you normally would when looking in a different direction, displayed movement is slight.

Note: I've reinstalled the receiver so that it is level with the reflector about 21 inches apart. This has not had a positive effect on the installation.

Regarding the key to enter VC - I don't actually use a keyboard event to change to the VC. I have a CH Products Yoke and I've assigned a rocker switch on the yoke to change the views.

Regarding the audible alarm for disconnect of the USB device - yes, the OS initiates this alarm when I unplug the tracker and vice versa. BTW - the hardware manager shows the connection/driver to be operating properly.

Regarding RTFM - no problema.

So, on to the next possible resolution. Again, I really appreciate all of you taking time out to help with this problem. If nothing else, we're eliminating the obvious. Thanks.

fb
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

Ok, let's eliminate some more and get to the bottom of this artichoke!

On your tracking screen with your head moving side to side comfortably (to the edges of the monitor so your eyes can still see the screen without strain) how much of the black screen does your dot travel? Keep in mind that you may want to fashion either a sphere or vertical cylindar so that the dot still shows a somewhat full aspect to the receiver throughout the range of your movements.

This thread (below) has some suggestions for getting the most out of the TIR but of course this is mostly for improving accuracy. However, if you happen to be using a profile with a largish deadzone and only getting a very small sweep on the tracking screen this might account for some of the problem.

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 4;t=000128

Again, I don't know if this will help, but I guess it certainly can't hurt so who knows?
steku

Post by steku »

One thing to check:

Do you have TrackIRFS2004.dll in FS2004's MODULES folder?

Another thing to check:

After installing TrackIR2 in my system with FS2004 I was able to move view using TrackIR only in horizontal plane. After some checking I discovered that I used one on FS2004 axes (for view paning) as a substitue axis for rudder trim using FSUIPC. If you are using FSUIPC rudder trim you will know what am I talking about The same about other FSUIPC susbstitutes (like cowl flaps etc.).
steku

Post by steku »

fbass wrote:
quote: Note: Displayed movement of the reflector sticker is totally two dimensional. In other words, I can move my head in a flat plane (up and down) and the movement is reflected on the displayed axis of the user interface. But, if I turn my head as you normally would when looking in a different direction, displayed movement is slight.
Suggestion 1:
Try to install reflective dot on an extension arm mounted to your headphones. My arm is about 8 inches long located on top of headphones. This way I can utilise about half of possible travel of green dot on tracking screen.

Suggestion 2:
Move your TrackIR closer to you.