trackir3 pro & glass's problem

corporalusmc

trackir3 pro & glass's problem

Post by corporalusmc »

I posted this same ? at netwings forum hoping for some help there, but didnt really get anywhere. Here is my post. (Any of you folks using trackir3 pro have same problem as me? I wear glasses when I fly just to really get the sharpened quality and beauty of sims. I got traickir3 pro because of the big hype about it, and realized that my glasses reflect ifrared waves back at it besided the dot that is in center of glasses. Giving me a real jerky nautious flight where i do nothing but get frustrated. I get rid of glasses and can see, but not as sharp, and put a bigger square dot folded over tip of visor and get my 1 big long green dot. Even with not wearing any reflective dot around head or anywhere near me. Its picks up 2-3 dots off glass's in tracking section. With glasses and hat with bigger square folded over vidor, or reflector between lens's, I can get several dots and gray, red, green, and white. I sure would like to be able to use glasses again especially with PF coming out. I would like to really appreciate it that much more. But situation I'm in with glass's thing, I'm kinda let down on trackir3 pro. ) Somebody, anybody, a good solution for this? Semper-Fido !!

[ October 21, 2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: corporal ]
Parse

Re: trackir3 pro & glass's problem

Post by Parse »

Hi corporal

I wear glasses too and have noticed what you described.

My solution is to wear a ball-cap with a long peak. Bend the peak down a bit and mount your reflective dot over the brim of the peak.

Make sure your receiver is mounted higher than your eye sight viewing level. ie: at the very least on top of your monitor.

Hope this helps.

"PARSE"
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

corporal,

Have you tried adjusting the "preferred object size" slider in the Tracking tab of the software? That can help it to ignore unnecessary reflections but might not work perfectly depending on your particular situation. Often it's good to minimize external sources of light that can be reflected from your glasses but I'm sure you have thought of that already.

As another thought you may be able to get an anti-reflective coating put on your glasses for not a great deal of money from your optician. I have a set of glasses that I had polarized which is amazing for reducing glare (at least from the inside not the outside) but I doubt that would necessarily work.

Either way it's probably good to identify the sources of the reflection, especially daylight from windows and cover them up as a start.
corporalusmc

Post by corporalusmc »

Well guys, I took the advice from the gentleman about pulling a baseball cap visor down even further. and I moved dot from the rim of the visor to the center of the display part where there is usually something printed. And rised my trackir to almost level with that. well I can use my glass's and it worked. Thanks for the time to respond guys. The reflections of light I was getting are off my monitor. But trackir level or angle now that don't pick it up. Thanks again guys. n Semper-Fido !! Corporal !
Parse

Post by Parse »

corporal!

You are most welcome.

I hope you can now enjoy this great add-on.

Regards,

"PARSE"
VMF-214_Freddy

Post by VMF-214_Freddy »

I wear glasses also, I chopped up some old lovely clip on sunglasses, and stuck 3 dots between my eyes, to give the camera a better target.

To take my eye glass reflection out, increase the camera threshold.
bobd

Post by bobd »

I just received TIR , but never thought of a glasses issue. I can see some reflection, but doesn't seem to create a problem for me. I wear magnifiers (+2.00) when on the computer, much better than my no line bifocals. If you can wear magnifiers when playing, maybe you can find some with less glare. Would be a cheap thing to try. I'm going to look into no glare lenses, if such a thing exists.
Barred

Post by Barred »

The reflection from glasses gave me a problem for a while, I tried the normal baseball cap but I had to pull it down so far it was interfering with me view. When I upgraded my TIR from 1 to 3Pro (thanks for the offer) I purchased a Track Cap to go with it. What a difference and as the reflective area is incerted at the front of the peak it always reflects back no matter the angle.