TrackIR 3 software problem ... workaround ...

gsgalaxy

TrackIR 3 software problem ... workaround ...

Post by gsgalaxy »

Hello !

Today i've recieved my first TrackIR 3 Pro Tracker device.

Installed it - v3.10 - ran the software, wanted to check through the different settings possibilities - checked sliders and wanted to check the dropdown-menus, too.
There came up the problem !
Klicking on the first (or checking again later - any dropdown menu on the different setting-windows) dropdown window, Windows XP Home was freezing in instantly, no keyboard or mouse input possible anymore...

Only possibility left was to use the reset-button on my big-tower to restart win-xp !
Like mentioned above, this happend on each dropdown use.

I first thought of the troubleshooting infos in the manual or on website about possible conflicts with TrackIR and running Soundblaster Live! and/or Logitech hardware/software, which i happen to use both of them for a long time.

So, using the task-manager or "Starter" task manager, i've tried to pinpoint the cause of this freezing-error, by shutting down a single task, run TrackIR software and use the dropdown, watched for the system-freeze.

After quite some time and quite alot of system-restarts i finally found the cause for this behaviour - it was the windows-style-changer program called "Windowblinds", which i am running in version v4.4 !!

Since Windowblinds changes the whole windows-display with new graphics and certain special
slider-modes and graphics, there could be a problem more within the Windowblinds programming, then in the TrackIR software, which seems to run using standard Windows sliders and button modes, cause without running Windowblinds it's running without any problems.

All i wanted to point out here was to let TrackIR users know, what they could look for, if they would stumble across such a behaviour of their systems like discribed above ...

Wayne

Re: TrackIR 3 software problem ... workaround ...

Post by Wayne »

galaxy,

Please refer to our webpage under troubleshooting which describes the issues with WindowBlinds from Stardock, and what to do to resolve the issue that you described.

Our new version 4 software should behave more like a Windows interface.

I did notice that you are using version 3.10 software. Version 3.13 is available on our website which addresses some issues and adds some new games such as the Jump to Lightspeed.

If you are still having problems please let me know.
gsgalaxy

Post by gsgalaxy »

After reading your reply i just went back to the troubleshooting page, noticing, there is already an issue listed about WindowBlinds.
For some reason i must have overlooked it, don't know ...

Well, this solution now seems to be quite simple - i followed the discribed method to let WindowBlinds ignore the remapping of the TrackIR-Software window - and, finally, it's working without any
problems.

Just to add as info - i've installed v3.13, too, but it still didn't work together.

But it doesn't matter now, it's working this way and i'm not desperate to give the naturalpoint software a WindowsBlinds look.

Thanks Wayne for the hint - great piece of hardware it is - waiting for the pre-ordered Vector expansion now ... ...

[ December 10, 2004, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: galaxy ]
SPbest

Post by SPbest »

hello!!, i ve got a little problem. Using windowblinds (WB) with the trackir soft v4.

I ve tryed to select the exe in the WB configuration screen as it is said on the faq, to exclude it from WB. But when i lauch the track ir soft nothing happen.

The only solution is to disable WB.

Maybe i do something wrong. Can you help me ?

thanks Anyway
DocLotus

Post by DocLotus »

Don't disable Windowblinds.

Instead double click on the Windowblinds icon (in the task tray) and select the...

Per Application

then put a check in the...

Ignore this Application and Do Not Skin it.

Then select the OK button, then click on Apply changes.

This will tell Windowblinds to skip Track IR.

This always works for me on touchy non Windowblinds compliant programs.