4.0.0.19 + FS2004

grover

4.0.0.19 + FS2004

Post by grover »

I only got my Tir3 today, so after installing the 3 with the 4 series drivers, I cant get it to work with FS2004. Is a module supposed to be installed with FS04 like with the 3 series drivers? The installer asked me if I wanted to install a file in FS2002, but not 2004, and when I start the game (after loading up the Tir software) I dont get any head movement in VC view. I dont think the TIR is actually activated as the default Tir keys like mode don't work.

Any ideas? It was pretty much a fresh FS04 install with no previous TrackIR module installed.
gsgalaxy

Re: 4.0.0.19 + FS2004

Post by gsgalaxy »

This sounds like a problem i had using the new v4.0.018 software.

Since the tracking was programmed in a different way (for the use of the vector-expansion, i guess) than it was done with the v3-versions (a special *.dll was placed into the FS2004\modules folder), the new method didn't work no more in v4 version. No response, no movement in the VR-Cockpit anymore !

After working together with Eric Davison from NaturalPoint, by helping him testing different debug-versions of the v4-software, he was able to pinpoint the problem and fix it, that the tracking and movement in VR-Cockpit of FS2004 started to work again.

As far as i understood the problem, it was caused by my use of a localized german version of the MSFS 2004, which showed some differencies to the US version.

Didn't try the new v4.0.019 version, yet.
A short comment from Eric makes me believe, that for different country's localized FS2004 versions a possible separate fix has to be implemented into the software.

Maybe.

But, i am not the expert, Eric Davison and the guys at NaturalPoint are the ones ...
So they probably got some work to do, to get each little problem, caused by Microsoft looks like, fixed.

Aren't you using a US version ??
grover

Post by grover »

Im using an English version, I dont know if there was a specific US version. I dont have it in the default location though if that is a problem. The TiR install never asked me to install the module in FS04, and there isnt a Trackir.dll in there. I figured that it would be different from previous versions too so I didnt think using an older module would work.

So are you saying I should have had te option to installed the module into FS2004? Is there anywhere I can put that module in manually? I have looked though my Naturalpoint folder incase a copy was placed in there, but no luck.
ericd

Post by ericd »

Grover, please email me at ericd@naturalpoint.com. If you are willing to help debug the problem I think we can figure it out and get a fix in place.

Thanks,
e
gsgalaxy

Post by gsgalaxy »

Grover, no, there is no trackirfs2004.dll in modules folder needed anymore, with the v4-release.

Eric ...
i guess you need to check back at Microsoft and ask them for information , how many different localized MSFS 2004 versions got released, which could be the troublemakers ...

Then you guys will know, how much extra work you 've got to put into your software ...

But this is totally NOT NaturalPoints fault ...

And ... sorry, didn't wanted to cause confusion with my answers about the german version problem ...

[ December 15, 2004, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: galaxy ]
ericd

Post by ericd »

Well, I wouldn't really blame MS for this one. Unfortunately we depend on a string in their application to make FS2004 work. This string is localized for the differenent languages they support (English, French, German, Spanish, Italian and Japanese). You could make an argument that the string doesn't need to be localized, but that's a different matter.

In general its not good to have dependencies like this but there was no other way around it at the time. I'm looking at alternate solutions for this so we don't run into this problem in the future.
grover

Post by grover »

Message sent Eric