TrackIR takes over my digital cable box! =)

Xpendable

TrackIR takes over my digital cable box! =)

Post by Xpendable »

A little story I thought you'd enjoy...

I got the TrackIR3 Pro a few weeks ago along with the Vector expansion. I absolutely love the product!

I had a really strange experience yesterday, though, and thought I'd share it! I sat down to watch the season premier of the "24" show on Fox TV. I had watched about 30 seconds of it when all of the sudden my digital cable box changed to another channel. What the... So I try to set the channel back, and nothing happens at first. Then after another 30 seconds, it changes back to the original channel, but then the cable box "menu" comes up. I grab the remote and press exit like 10 times and the menu finally goes away, but the channel changes again. I keep changing the channel back, but after about a minute, the channels just start changing on me! I turn off the cable box and turn back on to reset it. Now I can't get it to go to channel 12 (Fox TV). I manually get the channel back to 12 using the buttons on the front of the cable box. As soon as I sit back down on my couch, the channel changes to 16! What is going on here?

At first I think somebody is playing a trick on me with one of those remote IR transmitters. My blinds are down and closed, but I opened my front door to make sure nobody was out there. At this point I'm really getting frustrated because I've missed the first 5 or 6 minutes of "24" because I can't keep the cable box on channel 12. I'm about to rip the cable box out of the wall and hook the tv up direct.

Then a thought enters my head. I look across the room to where my computer is (about 15 feet away) and notice that the 4 red LED lights are on in my TrackIR. I usually shut down the software when I'm not using it. I had accidentally left it running. Okay, so maybe that's causing a problem with the cable box. I shutdown the software, and sure enough, the problems with my cable box go away! LOL! The funny thing is, my computer is not even lined up with the tv. But I guess the IR transmitters from the TrackIR were somehow confusing the heck out of my cable box!

Haha... True story!
Charlie251

Re: TrackIR takes over my digital cable box! =)

Post by Charlie251 »

Thats funny. Crazy too since most IR receivers in CATV boxes are at a much lower freq than the TIR.

I tried it with mine... what a great way to annoy my wife.... but it didnt work.