Long Startup Times for Version 4 software

Birch

Long Startup Times for Version 4 software

Post by Birch »

We have noticed a couple instances where people were reporting long startup times for the TrackIR version 4 software. We found that this was due to profiles that had become damaged, as soon as the damaged profile was removed everything was better again.

So...

If you are experiencing long startup times for your TrackIR version 4 software, check your profiles directory. If you find any profiles there that are larger than 5K bytes (5,000 bytes), it is most likely that the profile is damaged and should be removed. (Unless you have written exceptionally long notes in the profile-comments section )

[ January 31, 2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Birch Zimmer ]
xylem

Re: Long Startup Times for Version 4 software

Post by xylem »

Hello Birch,

I just upgraded my TrackIR Pro3 (#29668) software to v 41025 beta3, as recommended by your 'update' process.

I now experience long delays in starting up TrackIR; a problem that I didn't have before upgrading.

Per your preceeding advice I checked the profiles. The only one over 5kb is the
default Profile (6kb) (and I have created only one other profile; for LOMAC).

However, the"Default Profile" refuses to be deleted. In the TrackIR window the 'Delete' button is greyed out when 'Default' is selected. And when I manually delete the file from the TrackIR directory it mysteriously reappears when TIR is restarted.

(edit: I just discovered that the 'new' default profile is only 2kb, and was probably recovered from the 'backup' folder. So now none is over 2kb but I am still getting a long startup delay)

Can you help me out?

Thanks,
-Tom

[ May 26, 2005, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: xylem ]
Birch

Post by Birch »

Tom,

It doesn't sound like the profiles are a problem in your case. Please send an email with the details to support@naturalpoint.com and we will look into it further.
ericd

Post by ericd »

Could you email me at ericd@naturalpoint.com? I have a test build I'd like to try out to see if it helps your startup problem.

Thanks!
xylem

Post by xylem »

Thanks Eric; email on it's way. Sorry for the delay in answering - I was away for the Memorial day holiday.
xylem

Post by xylem »

Problem solved! Thanks Eric.
hornet_f4c

Solution?

Post by hornet_f4c »

Hi there!

What exactly was the solution if not a damaged profile?
I experiencing a startup time >5mins at 100%CPU.

I will have a look into my profiles but any further help is welcome.

Thanx in advance,
Thomas
hornet_f4c

Solved- it was the default profile

Post by hornet_f4c »

Okay, it was the profile thingie.

The default profile had developed a size of 2.5MB! After deleting it from the file system it was recreated upon the next startup of the software - with a size of 2KB.

The startup delay is now completely gone. Thanx for the tip!

regards
Thomas
VincentG

Re: Solved- it was the default profile

Post by VincentG »

richardsjenkins

Post by richardsjenkins »

ericd wrote: Fri May 27, 2005 10:39 am Could you email me at ericd@naturalpoint.com? I have a test build I'd like to try out to see if it helps your startup problem.

Thanks!
Hey there! Can you help me also? will send you a PM. Thankswww.incineratemarketingllc.com/