Installing trackIR in XPpro

F4UT_Bard

Re: Installing trackIR in XPpro

Post by F4UT_Bard »

give this a go.

uninstall the trackir software.

head into regedit and delete the following if they exist

hkey_current_user\software\naturalpoint folder

hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\app paths\naturalpoint.exe

hkey_local_machine\software\naturalpoint

now with the following you must be careful..

under hkey_local_machine\system\current_control_set\control\class
you usually have devices identified by a string of numbers like {123871-234324-123123.......}.

This string identifies a single piece of hardware, subfolders of that piece of hardware are often items that connect through that device (not technically correct but suffices for this).

search for "naturalpoint".

You will find a string with multiple subfolders with names consisting of 4 digits - 0001, 0002 etc, some of which contain trackir devices.

Look at each of these folders and you should see that there is a "DriverDesc" value on the right. Check through each and delete the 4 digit folders containing trackir stuff. There should be 2 of them.

now continue searching and you should find entries under hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\enum\usb

now, in this instance each folder contains single devices, and you want to delete the parent folder of the device (since trackir nests the entries in the registry).

When you find an entry, the parent folder will be VID_ something. Right click this folder, select permissions, and give everyone full control, then delete the VID_ folder for the trackir entry. Once again you should find 2 folders that need deleting.

Now, under hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services delete the EZUSB and EZUSBDEV folders.

now reboot, install the drivers (without the unit plugged in) and plug in the device.
Birch

Post by Birch »

Snake :

Try the this :
Click on the trackIR in the device manager and choose "Remove". Then _diconnect _ the trackIR and reboot. Now plug the trackIR back in, if it does not automatically locate the drivers then guide it to the following INF file : ezusbw2k.inf
(located in C:\windows\inf for XP ).

If this does not work then driver setup can be ruled out as an issue and it means there is probably a problem with the USB chipset or its drivers. Also try to avoid hubs, as some have been known to cause problems as well.
PeteThomas

Post by PeteThomas »

Thanks for the replies, good long post on things to try, I gave the machine the big cleanout, are still unable to get passed the "Unknown USB device".
I get the Found new Hardware USB device, disk madly rattles, Welcome to found New Hardware Wizard, ... help install software for: USB Device ... it seems to be really screwing up at that point, as other devices have already done the good thing and are normally display the device name.
james_whc

Post by james_whc »

seems a common prob, I've sent an email to support detailing my attempts as listed below:.
Hope to receive some resolution on this rather than having to reinstall Win XP.

-------------------------------------------
Support

I cannot install on my system as the device is not
recognised as an ECT NaturalPoint device - only as a
generic usb device:
-Asus A7N8X Deluxe 1gb Ram , AMD 2.5ghz Barton
-Windows XP Prof. SP.1
-logged in as administrator
-have tried setting my USB support in motherboard BIOS
to 1.1 and also 1.1+2.0 support but makes no
difference.

-installed 2.11 drivers, reboot pc, and then connected
trackir directly (without extension cord) to my pc's
usb ports so NO usb hub is used.

- also tried disconnecting trackir, uninstalling
2.11,reboot pc, and installing 2.12 beta drivers,
reboot pc, and then connect trackir to usb port in
same way but get same error.

I get the Found New Hardware wizard to start up but
detects device only as generic usb instead of the
specific ECT NaturalPoint device. So selecting Install
Software Automatically does not work.

Tried forcing the wizard to browse in the
- C:\Program Files\Naturalpoint\TrackIR folder and
- C:\WINDOWS\inf folder but no luck.

There are no *.inf files in the C:\Program
Files\Naturalpoint\TrackIR folder.

Have searched the forums
http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 000210;p=2

it seems that many people have similar problems with
some finding a Win XP re-install may be required but
this is a drastic step so am looking for other
solutions.

thanks & regrds
James
james_whc

Post by james_whc »

some more info on my problem - when I tried on my Win2000 Prof. pc I get same problem where device is recognisdee as only generic usb device. So not just a Win XP install problem.

------ email to support ---------------
Donald

thanks for quick response. I've tried the following 2 options (except third option) on my work pc which is Win2000 Prof. which has no system restore feature.
- Dell P3-800mhz 512mb RAM
- no other usb devices connected
- Windows 2000 Prof. SP4
- logged in as administrator
- after driver install 2.11 and reboot, trackir is connected directly to pc's usb port so no extension cable or hub is used.
-trackir LEDs do not light up
-tried browsing to c:\program files\naturalpoint\trackir but no *.inf files there
-tried browsing to c:\winnt\inf folder but no joy

The same problem happens as when I used Win XP - where the device is only recognised as a generic usb instead of an ECT device.

perhaps I have a defective trackir as most probs on forum report inability to install on Win XP.

Hope some more light can be shed on this.

thanks
James
ronjon

Post by ronjon »

i'm running winXP pro and was having the same troubles as many of you. installed as per directions like so many times before, but the device, while detected, remained unrecognized. i went to my mobo manufactures web site and updated my via usb 2.0 drivers. from then on i have had no other problems.

best of luck to you all,
bp_ronjon
kohlmann

Post by kohlmann »

Just to add my two cents. I just finished putting together a new machine. Windows XP Pro, P4 2.8, ASUS P4P800, 1GB, Radeon 9800. Everything works great except my trackIR. I cannot get it to be recognized during the installation process. I disconnect the trackIR, run the lastest software install, and reconnect the trackIR after reboot. Nothing. It isn't even recognized as a new device by Windows XP.

Looks exactly like the same problem I have seen on this thread already. I have installed the latest BIOS and USB 2 driver and had no success.

By the way I saw a similar problem with Windows 98 and my MS Strategic Commander. (I have a dual boot machine so I can run the old speedkeys software from CH. I haven't tried the TrackIR on 98 yet.) So I suspect this is a MB problem. Either the BIOS or the USB 2 Driver.

For people who got this working, what MB are you using, what BIOS and which USB driver.

Many thanks!
ronjon

Post by ronjon »

disregard on installing updated usb 2.0 drivers as being a fix for me. while it did fix the problem initially. the proble reared its ugly head the following day, after i started using it a second time. very puzzling indeed.

regards,
bp_ronjon

[ November 08, 2003, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: ronjon ]
graemeg

Post by graemeg »

any updates on how to fix. I have tried pointing to inf. file, it's not on my pc.

exusbw2k.inf

My track IR worked fine until I updted XP home to PRO
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

My TrackIR V1, does not work on my FIC IceCube running an Intel 845GE MB with lastest drivers and MS WinXP Home SP1 with latest updates including the USB2.0.

The TIR-V1 does work on my older computer also running MS WinXP Home SP1 with latest updates including the USB2.0. My new HP TC1000 tablet PC running WinXP Pro Tablet also runs the TIR-v1 fine. Too bad thats not a gaming platform.

Upon reading this thread, my INF file has at the end of it:

[Strings]
ECT="Eye Control Technologies"
USB\VID_0547&PID_0080.DeviceDesc="ECT NaturalPoint Loader"
USB\VID_0547&PID_1002.DeviceDesc="ECT NaturalPoint Tracker"
USB\VID_0547&PID_2131.DeviceDesc="Anchor Chips EZ-USB (2131Q/2131S/2135S) - EEPROM missing"
USB\VID_0547&PID_2126.DeviceDesc="Anchor Chips EZ-USB (2126S) - EEPROM missing"
USB\VID_0547&PID_2125.DeviceDesc="Anchor Chips EZ-USB (2121S/2125S) - EEPROM missing"
USB\VID_0547&PID_2136.DeviceDesc="Anchor Chips EZ-USB (2136S) - EEPROM missing"
USB\VID_0547&PID_2122.DeviceDesc="Anchor Chips EZ-USB (2122S) - EEPROM missing"

USB\VID_0547&PID_2235.DeviceDesc="ECT NaturalPoint Firmware Loader"
USB\VID_0547&PID_2236.DeviceDesc="Anchor Chips EZ-USB (2236) - EEPROM missing"
USB\VID_0547&PID_2225.DeviceDesc="Anchor Chips EZ-USB (2225) - EEPROM missing"
USB\VID_0547&PID_2226.DeviceDesc="Anchor Chips EZ-USB (2226) - EEPROM missing"

EZUSB.SvcDesc="NaturalPoint Tracker USB Driver (ezusb.sys)"
EZUSBDEV.SvcDesc="NaturalPoint Tracker USB Driver (ezmon.sys)"

------------

All of my computers say about the same thing in the ezusbw2k.inf file. Which means this does not have anything to do with it working or not.

Im hoping that you TIR developers and can find a work around. This is after all, a new MB and uP with latest drivers and OS updates.

Note this IceCube is a brand new set up and WinXP install. Reformatting and reinstalling WinXP Home is not a reasonable work around.

Please help ASAP.

[ December 17, 2003, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: AV8R ]