Installing trackIR in XPpro

HarryLee

Re: Installing trackIR in XPpro

Post by HarryLee »

quote:Originally posted by Snake122:
Well, I'm quite depressed because my "USB device" error is back with vengeance with my TrackIR2 I've had my trackIR2 unplugged for awhile and installed 2 other USB devices (a Logitech stick and a X-Keys Matrix). I plugged in my TrackIR2 before I turned on my computer and when I booted into XP Pro there was the "usb device" error waiting for me
Snake I don't know if this will help you or not but your story of TIR2 not working after you added 2 devices reminds me of something that happened to me.

I've got 4 USB devices connected directly to the PC (incl TIR2) and 3 devices connected thru a hub. One day I disconnected the hub for some reason (PC was running) and later flew FS9 a while with TrackIR2 working fine.

Later when I rebooted, TrackIR2 was GONE - the software couldn't find it Don't remember if I got a USB error when I booted.

After plugging/unplugging TIR2 a few times, doing a few reboots, still no luck. Then I got an idea, I shut down, reconnected the hub and rebooted. The TrackIR2 worked perfectly after that! Makes me think TIR doesn't like changes in the USB configuration?

You might try disconnecting and deleting your 2 new devices, and put your USB stuff back *exactly* the way it was when TIR worked - see if that makes a difference.

Hope this helps!
snake122

Post by snake122 »

Is everybody that has problems have a USB 2.0 system?

quote:Originally posted by Nightcargo:
I still have same problem as Snake and the other fellas. I went from a TrackIR1 to the IR2. No Change. This seems to be a WINXP problem. I spent over an hour with tech support and no fix!It's a Windows XP issue in that you have to reinstall it to get it working, but I think the root of the porblem lies somewhere in the drviers and how they work in XP. If we had an .inf file to point it installer to, we could most likely install it without a problem.

Who do you fly for out of Loiusville? I graduate from Indiana State in May with my pro pilot B.S.. I'm a CFI-I and have about 650 hours. I'm going to try to get a pilot slot in the ANG.

quote:Originally posted by HarryLee:
Snake I don't know if this will help you or not but your story of TIR2 not working after you added 2 devices reminds me of something that happened to me.

I've got 4 USB devices connected directly to the PC (incl TIR2) and 3 devices connected thru a hub. One day I disconnected the hub for some reason (PC was running) and later flew FS9 a while with TrackIR2 working fine.

Later when I rebooted, TrackIR2 was GONE - the software couldn't find it Don't remember if I got a USB error when I booted.

After plugging/unplugging TIR2 a few times, doing a few reboots, still no luck. Then I got an idea, I shut down, reconnected the hub and rebooted. The TrackIR2 worked perfectly after that! Makes me think TIR doesn't like changes in the USB configuration?

You might try disconnecting and deleting your 2 new devices, and put your USB stuff back *exactly* the way it was when TIR worked - see if that makes a difference.

Hope this helps![/QB]Thanks already tried that

Gonna be really pissed if I have to reinstall XPagain for this. It isn't a viable fix Jim and Birch. I know it isn't that common of a problem but it seems like that it randomoly pops up on USB 2.0 systems even with TrackIR2.

quote:Originally posted by Birch Zimmer:
Snake :

Try the this :
Click on the trackIR in the device manager and choose "Remove". Then _diconnect _ the trackIR and reboot. Now plug the trackIR back in, if it does not automatically locate the drivers then guide it to the following INF file : ezusbw2k.inf
(located in C:\windows\inf for XP ).

If this does not work then driver setup can be ruled out as an issue and it means there is probably a problem with the USB chipset or its drivers. Also try to avoid hubs, as some have been known to cause problems as well.Brich posted this back in October after I reinstalled the first time so I didn't get to try it as a fix.

I eluded to it but didn't fully say that I tried this Birch. When you say remove the TrackiR in device manager, I assume you mean the "USB device" under "Other Devices." This is all well and good but you can't point the install wizard to the file you talk about because it is a .PNF file. Any other ideas?
HarryLee

Post by HarryLee »

quote:Originally posted by Snake122:
Thanks already tried that Sorry it didn't work

quote:
Gonna be really pissed if I have to reinstall XPagain for this. It isn't a viable fix Jim and Birch. I know it isn't that common of a problem but it seems like that it randomoly pops up on USB 2.0 systems even with TrackIR2.Yeah, reinstalling is NOT a solution!!! It's like, the passenger-side power window on your new car won't go down, and the dealership tells you that you have to install a new engine to fix it!!! Gotta be a better way...

Snake :

Try the this :
Click on the trackIR in the device manager and choose "Remove". Then _diconnect _ the trackIR and reboot. Now plug the trackIR back in, if it does not automatically locate the drivers then guide it to the following INF file : ezusbw2k.inf
(located in C:\windows\inf for XP ).

If this does not work then driver setup can be ruled out as an issue and it means there is probably a problem with the USB chipset or its drivers. Also try to avoid hubs, as some have been known to cause problems as well. quote:Brich posted this back in October after I reinstalled the first time so I didn't get to try it as a fix.

I eluded to it but didn't fully say that I tried this Birch. When you say remove the TrackiR in device manager, I assume you mean the "USB device" under "Other Devices." This is all well and good but you can't point the install wizard to the file you talk about because it is a .PNF file. Any other ideas? There is no ezusbw2k.inf file on my system anywhere... I checked my SetupAPI.log and my TIR2 was installed from NPUSB.inf (using v3.03 of the software) Try looking for that one, and if you have it then point the install there & see what happens.

Last thought - have you tried installing on other systems? My TIR2 died on Xmas morning and I couldn't get it to install on ANY of 4 systems, 2 running XP Home, 1 running ME and 1 running 98. One with USB 2.0 and the others with USB 1.1. BIOS and USB updates didn't help. Never went as far as Windows reinstall - wrote NP tech support and they issued a RMA to test the unit. They confirmed it was dead last Wed and are shipping me a new unit.

If you haven't tried it on other systems, may be worth a try - maybe yours died too?

Regards
snake122

Post by snake122 »

Both of my TrackIR and TrackIR2 show up as "USB Devices" in my Win XP Pro, 2.6 P4, ABIT IC-7 system. When I point the driver updater at the NPUSB.inf file it says it contains no information for my hardware. Also, Naturalpoint, or a.k.a. Eye Control Tech., has no hardware listed under USB controllers (where it should be)), pointer devices, or game controllers. So I can't install it that way

Both TrackIRs work on my WinXP Pro, 1.3 P3, ASUS TUV4X system so they aren't dead.
snake122

Post by snake122 »

BUMP! Jim, Birch, or anybody else have anything new? This seems to be the most common bug reported on the boards right now and I miss my TrackIR
Birch

Post by Birch »

Hey guys,

I worked with the tech support team this week and we established a procedure to fix some of these problems which is having some success.

They are going to refine the process by working through it with more people, and then we might make a step-by-step guide available online. It does involve editing the registry, so it involves a fair amount of caution and we have to consider that before deciding whether to make it available. If you are having a problem, consider calling or emailing our tech team and working with them.

It may not solve all of the problems that are being reported, but should help with a good number of them, as well as diagnosing what the specific problem is. We have definatly been working hard on this to arrive at a good solution for our users.

[ January 16, 2004, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Birch Zimmer ]
snake122

Post by snake122 »

Hey guys,

I worked with the tech support team this week and we established a procedure to fix some of these problems which is having some success.

They are going to refine the process by working through it with more people, and then we might make a step-by-step guide available online. It does involve editing the registry, so it involves a fair amount of caution and we have to consider that before deciding whether to make it available. If you are having a problem, consider calling or emailing our tech team and working with them.

It may not solve all of the problems that are being reported, but should help with a good number of them, as well as diagnosing what the specific problem is. We have definatly been working hard on this to arrive at a good solution for our users.Cool, I hope it's a registry edit I haven't tried yet. I thought I cleared out every entry related to the TrackIR last time. Glad you guys are hunting down a fix
AV8R

Post by AV8R »

I tried calling NP Support last week, willing to see if NP could come up with resolution process.

Wayne on NP support hotline seems to be a nice enough chap. He recommended that I d/l some freeware utility that grabs all the system config and installation information:

--------------------------------------------------------
Sent : Wednesday, January 14, 2004 4:28 PM
Subject : RE: C/O Wayne: TIR1-GX Support Request

Hello..

Thank you for your phone call it was good to talk to you, made a change
from talking with you in forum.

First of all I would like you to understand that we are working to find
a solution, and as I have now talked with you, I would like for the two
of us to work together and find a solution because I will need someone
with a high understanding and will involve going into the registry...
Are you up for it?

Firstly the link for Belarc Advisor is..

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

If you could snapshot your system with the TrackIR attached then simply
attach it to an e-mail, I would also like you to add to the e-mail the
following..

I. Name:

2. Email Address:

3. Trackir Revision (1 or 2):

4. Current Trackir Drivers:

5. Serial # (sticker on bottom of the unit):

6. Power supply Wattage: one for each computer!

7. When did the issue start:

8. Type of problem you are having. (Please be specific):

Secondly if you could forward me your "setupapi.log" file, this you will
find in the Windows directory and will allow us to see what was
happening during the install.

Thirdly..
This means using regedit, please make a backup of the registry before
doing anything, and I will send you what you need to look for..

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11
CF-8056-444553540000}
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DeviceClasses\{a5dcbf10
-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USB\Vid_131d&Pid_0150]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\EZUSB]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C46
5-11CF-8056-444553540000}
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses\{a5dc
bf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\Vid_131d&Pid_0150]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EZUSB]

NOTE!
Specific sub registry keys and values vary from computer to computer.
DO NOT attempt to export from one computer and import to another I say
that because I know you have two computers and this could have a
disastrous effect!

Thank you once again for your help and we will get this solved.

Regards

Wayne

Wayne Oakes
NaturalPoint
Technical Support
541-753-6645 ext.10
FAX 541-753-6689
support@naturalpoint.com
www.naturalpoint.com

----------------------------------------------------

So I ran the utility, and it was pretty indepth snapshot. However, there was some information and concerns I wanted to share before signing up to a detailed debug process. I requested:

-an email promise (aka NDA) that my computer information to not be made public information (because the snapshot software grabs software keys and other unique indentification information),

- and requested that this workaround process not require me to reinstall my WinXP, get a new MB or send in my whole system as Wayne had suggested earlier on this Forum. Those are recommendations that are too extreme for me to agree to.

NP Support chose not to respond. (4 days hence) I sent the email twice to make sure it didnt bounce.

All I can conclude, either NP wasnt up for it or they are occupied elsewheres. Im still trying to believe that their is a customer focus somewhere here inspite of the communications ive encountered. So, perhaps the above registry effort mentioned in this thread will provide a workaround.

Keep at it. Success may be just around the corner.

AV8R

[ January 18, 2004, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: AV8R ]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

It is totally inappropriate to post any private emails with our tech support staff on this or any other message board. We are trying to help you with this problem and are working on a solution. We do not want the liability of having a potential solution posted on the boards that won't work for someone else and could cause major havoc on their machine.

This thread is now being locked.

We will start / allow a new thread when we have ironed out the best procedure for dealing with the USB problem. We are working on this full time and should have something soon. It does no good to undermine our own efforts by posting negative comments because it just takes time away from fixing the problem.

Please treat our company and employees with respect.