Installing trackIR in XPpro

rumpole

Installing trackIR in XPpro

Post by rumpole »

Could someone please give me some step by step instructions on how to get my TrackIR working in windows xp pro.I have read a few different posts on this subject but quite honestlly i could;nt understand most of it as i am quite PC illiterate and i hav;nt a clue about working with editing the registry or working with system restore etc.I had no problems at all while using windows 98 and it is a really good product which i would like working again.
Thankyou in advance for your help.
Halstead York

Re: Installing trackIR in XPpro

Post by Halstead York »

Denel-
What kinds of problems are you having?
rumpole

Post by rumpole »

Hi,
When trying to install, a message will appear.
"USB Error"
" The system cannot find the file specified"
"The software could not connect with the Track ir device"
"The program will start but there will be no mouse control".
I have tried installing using the basic trackir and then using the various upgrades from version 2.0 until the latest version and each time the above messages will appear.
As i have said in my original post,i am very PC illiterate and feel that if i try and work/mess with things i don't understand i will end up doing more harm than good.I have uninstalled "Natural Point" via the control panel and left it at that.
Thankyou.
Quboid

Post by Quboid »

Does that come up when you run the configuation program after installing? If so, it means the tracking device simply isn't plugged in. I get this when I reinstall drivers as I always forget to plug it back in
rumpole

Post by rumpole »

When the installation process is complete and i then plug in the Trackir,a message on my task bar appears,"USB device not recognised.""One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it".If i proceed any further the messages in my last post then appear
Toad465

Post by Toad465 »

Yep same problem here. I was thinking it might be my new MOBO. Just put it together with XPpro had 2000 pro on last board but it doens't support Hyperhthreading so now XP it is? All though mine did recognize USB trackir installed it and told me it was ready to use. But when you activate program I get the little window saying USB ERROR

(edit)

I just updated Bios now it works.
I have the Asus P4P800 Deluxe if that helps.

[ August 06, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: T_O_A_D ]
Nightcargo

Post by Nightcargo »

I have WinXP Pro as well and can not get this dumb thing to install either. I've tried hacking the registry and forcing drivers but nothing works! I have also spent two hours over two days on the phone with NaturalPoint tech support. No solution yet!!! He said some people with XP are having problems, I'm wondering if it is really all people with XP!
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

Most of our users are now running XP (including me), so I promise that it's not the issue.

The Iwill kk266-r uses a VIA chipset which has known USB issues. Sadly. there is little that we can do about it (we push the edge of the USB1.1 spec, and not all motherboard manufactures follow it properly). However, here's the appropriate section from the troubleshooting guide in the current manual:

Problem:
Software loads and runs, and green indicator light blinks, but the cursor does not move, or cursor moves erratically.

Possible Cause
� LEDs are turned off.
� VIA chipset and/or SoundBlaster Live! Compatibility issues

Solution
� Go to the Tracking page of the trackIR Software. Make sure the LED switch is active (blue)

� Check to see if you have a SoundBlaster Live! Audio card and/or a VIA chipset on your motherboard
o Update the SoundBlaster Live! And VIA chipset to their latest versions. SoundBlaster Live! Drivers can be found at www.soundblaster.com under the support tab, and VIA Hyperion 4-in-1 Chipset drivers can be found at www.viaarena.com
o If this does not solve the issue, plug the trackIR is into a powered USB hub instead of directly to the computer.
o If the problem persists, add a PCI USB card to your computer and plug the trackIR in to it.

� TrackIR is a high powered USB device, and may sometimes need to be plugged directly into the computer (not into a USB hub) to function properly.

Let me know if any of these solutions help.

[ August 27, 2003, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Halstead York ]
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I have two systems running on Windows XP Pro and TIR works fine on both.

One has a VIA chipset (A7V333) but I have never had issues. I have TIR plugged directly into the mobo.

Works great here.
snake122

Post by snake122 »

I just upgraded my system to a P4 800mhz FSB with a Abit intel chipset board and now when I plug in my Track IR it won't recongize it either. I'm running GX 2.11. If I knew what the .inf file for the Track IR is I could probably install it.