weird sounds from the MOBO

Wayne

Re: weird sounds from the MOBO

Post by Wayne »

Sunburzt,

I know you may have already checked this but are any of your fans possibly making this noise?

Can you clearly identify where on your mobo this may be emanating from?
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

When you hear the sound coming from your computer put your finger on each of the fans one at a time to stop it for 3-4 seconds to see if the sound goes away.
I'm still allmost certain it comes from either a capacitor on your motherboard or your powersupply. Different loads on your motherboard or powersupply can create different pitched whining noises. Usually those noises appear when components are at their outer limit of tolerance...but anything is possible.
I would switch the powersupply with a different one to see if the problem goes away (quicker than taking out the mobo). But still most likely a voltage regulator on your mobo feeding the USB-ports that is the culprit since you say it only appears when you launch the TIR SW when the TIR is connected.
Another thing to check:
If you have 4 or more USB ports on your mobo they should be placed two and two together. Try moving the TIR to a port in a different pair. It should use a different voltage regulator.

[ February 17, 2005, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Shadow ]
Sunburzt

Post by Sunburzt »

takker for den shadow
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Hyggelig � kunne hjelpe
(Happy to help out)
John Banks

Post by John Banks »

I have the exact same "problem"! I already reported that when i got my brand new TrackIR2 months ago but got no reply.
I have an ASUS K8V Deluxe mobo and both, the TIR2 and 3 Pro cause this noise. The TIR1 didn't though.

I have found out that the noise is much louder when using the onboard USB ports, so i bought a USB card. I also noticed that the noise dissapears when the CPU is working or a task is running. Btw...my PSU has 550W.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Hi John, sorry I do not look that often in the TIR2 boards (I should though). It sounds as if there is a dry joint somewhere in the USB circuit that is OK unless under a lot of stress and then is picking up some harmonics from inside the case.

If that is the case then it can be a real son of a gun to lock down and cure especially if it only happens under certain surcumstances.