Looking At My Feet!

79_Vortex

Looking At My Feet!

Post by 79_Vortex »

~S~

If I am playing for example and hour, I end up having to re-centre the TrackIR about 10 times.

The tracker is 2" above my head and 32" away, so it is set up at the optimal distance. The hat is also horizontal to the tracker.

Any of you guys got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

_79_Vortex

www.79vraf.com
JeanGuy

Re: Looking At My Feet!

Post by JeanGuy »

79_Vortex,

Is there a commonality of actions and/or head movements causing you to have to re-centre TIR3?

Are these re-centering actions resetting a locked fully tilted down head staring at the cockpit floor or are they simply minor drift adjustments / corrections prior to firing?

What sim is this occurring in? What is your selected TIR profile & settings?

Not Knowing above answers look at physical locations of your Joystick & keyboard and the possibility of you having to tilt your head down too much to see your keyboard and input commands?

Good Luck,
79_Vortex

Post by 79_Vortex »

~S~ Jean-Guy

quote: Is there a commonality of actions and/or head movements causing you to have to re-centre TIR3? Yes, if I look down at the instruments, then it generally wont look up again.

quote: Are these re-centering actions resetting a locked fully tilted down head staring at the cockpit floor or are they simply minor drift adjustments / corrections prior to firing?
It is always locked fully tilted down looking at the cockpit floor.

quote: What sim is this occurring in? What is your selected TIR profile & settings? IL2. I am using the test profile from the Virtual Flight Productions website.

Many thanks for your help. I am away until Thrusday and will not be able to see any reply until then!

Vortex

[ February 13, 2005, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: 79_Vortex ]
JeanGuy

Post by JeanGuy »

Hello Vortex,

Hope you had a pleasant trip.

Reading your answers I deduced that a relatively minor downward head movement to look at your virtual instrument panel is sufficiant to put the tracking IR reflector that you are using (dot or track hat) below the field of view of your TIR3. (This likely causes TIR3 to lose its tracking solution and forces it to put its head down in shame.) Seriously TIR3 tracked you to its max downward deflection and lost you. It is then holding that position until it regain a tracking solution or you press F12. Now lets try to prove and correct this situation. I believe that the distance and height of your TIR 3 are OK. You however likely need to confirm the tilt and face on of your TIR 3 to ensure that all parameters are within the ball park and that your head sits square in the center of you TIR 3 field of view (FOV).

GOTO this link and look at the posted screen pictures of track IR:

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 2;t=000114

These posted TIR3 screen show 3 green dots since they are relating to Vortex enhanced TIR3. Read all of it and take particular note as to how the TIR 3 unit is manipulated to get the 3 green dots to sit squarely in the middle of the TIR 3 screen while a combat simmer sits exactly where he will be when he flies his sim. Pay attention also to the discussion regarding the size of the dots and how to manipulate them.

Now go back to your version of TIR 3 software and open your own tracking and head screens. Since your are not using vector only one green dot should be visible (wear your normal in game reflector, dot or track hat). Now sit squarely and exactly where you will be when you play your combat sim. Next, move and/or tilt the TIR3 unit until your one green dot sits squarely in the center without using F-12 while you are fixating on a point smack in the middle of your monitor screen (do not look at TIR3 Unit). Once you have centered the green dot, relax and take a moment to feel your body and confirmed that your present body and head positioning is indeed were you are confortable to fight.

Once you are happy with this move your head smoothly in the Y and X axis to confirm full range of motion without TIR 3 losing its tracking solution. If this works OK go back to you combat flight sim virtual cockpit and confirm that you have truly resolved the snag.

Come back to us if no joy. Good luck..!

[ February 16, 2005, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Jean-Guy ]
Barred

Post by Barred »

Vortex, as Jean says, but one other thing that is important. Having done all of the above and you are still having problems and you are using dots as aposed to a TrackHat; either buy a TrackHat (they are great for a standard TIR setup) or get hold of a cap and wrap a few dots around the bill, about 1/2" in length and use that as your dot.

TIR3 will use the extra curve of the reflector around the bill to keep a dot in the scanning area.

Good Luck