A small request...

conuk

A small request...

Post by conuk »

Just got my 3 Pro a couple of days ago with vector expansion.

Very happy with the product - using it for Lock On and Flight Simulator 2004.

My ONLY gripe as of now - is the Length of the Lead!

It states that a hub should not be used - but unfortunately where my system is situated the lead is not long enough... Im sure other users probably think this too.

Just a suggestion for the next incarnation maybe..... Extend the lead

Thanks for the great product

[ April 24, 2005, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: ConUK ]
popabawa

Re: A small request...

Post by popabawa »

I'll second this point!

The lead is about 10cm too short for my needs and has lead to a slightly less than ideal (but still adequate) position of the TrackIR.

Minor but irritating for such a great product!
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the feedback. You can use a USB extension cable, or a powered USB hub, either is fine, we just don't recommend unpowered USB hubs. We plan on using 2M cables for all future products.
conuk

Post by conuk »

Thanks Jim.

Tried my powered hub earlier this evening (saitek) - and all has been fine - no problems.

Well happy with the TrackIR
popabawa

Post by popabawa »

Thanks for clearing that up.

I misunderstood, I thought the advice was not to use ANY kind of hub.
Barred

Post by Barred »

The thing about hubs and TIR has to do with data rates not the hub it's self. If you are running a low data device with the TIR then all should be fine, the troubles start to happen when you add another high data device on the same hub. High data devices include complicated joysticks like the Cyborg and HOTAS like the Cougar and X45.

Think of it this way the data is a stream of traffic at rush hour. When that trafic is on a motoway (highway) the data gets through ok. Now say a neighbouring motor way closed and that traffic was added to the original, you end up with gridlock.
conuk

Post by conuk »

so what is the problem with Hubs ?!

When you plug sepearate hardware into the back of the Pc they work fine... so why cant they sort out the Hubs to work in the correct way?

I just use mine at the mo for the trackir - the Ch stuff plugs into the front of PC.... seems to be a bit hit or miss whether a hub will actually work as you want it... hmmmmm weird.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Con, hubs are fine IF you are running more than 1 low data producing devices attached to the hub, all the accumalative data cannot exceed the data through put of the Port that the hub is pluged into.

Lets say you have 4 devices that have a data rate of 2 that is plugged into your hub. The hub is conected to a port on your PC that has a data rate of 6. As 4x2=8 and the data rate of 6 for the port that the hub is conected to is exceeded by 2, therefor one device will not work at all, or they all will work intamitantly as each device will have a equal time slot for it's data. Joysticks (especially the ones with a lot of butons and some extra axis) and TIR would have a data rate each of say 4 so if you have the stick and TIR in the same port on the PC via a hub (powered or not), the data rate for the PC's port is exceeded by 2 and as before they will not work correctly.

I really do not know to explain simpler than that why you do not as a rule use TIR on the same port via a hub with any other device.
conuk

Post by conuk »

Cheers Barred - I understand, thanks for the explanation.

Appreciate it
Barred

Post by Barred »

No Problem Con. The main reason that the confusion rises about USB HUBS is that they were marketed as the end all of conections with figures like 256 devices handled by one port. Well technically 256 is possible, just as long as they do not use much bandwith for the data.

The other thing that they never mentioned in the marketing for USB is power and I do not know of any PSU on the market atm that could handle 256 devices powered by the hub.