Dot Material

ITGL72

Dot Material

Post by ITGL72 »

I'm thinking of making a small ball type of piece with the reflective material and was wondering if I can purchase a roll of it or something like it?

What is this stuff? I swear I have seen it somewhere before but for the life of me I cannot remember where. I dont remember if I saw it at a hardware store or online?

I'm also interested in seeing what other people might be using other than the standard dot. Anyone have pictures?

I sit a bit back from where my TIR sits on my monitor so Im looking to use something a little bigger that reflects from all angles.

Thanks!
ITGL72

Re: Dot Material

Post by ITGL72 »

BUMP???
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Yes, making a reflective ball will help your range issue quite a bit. We use 3M Scotchbrite material, you can buy raw reflective material from our web store, or sometimes you can get it at a fabric store.
Bill Preston

Post by Bill Preston »

I made a head band type of thing out of velcro. Cut a strip a bit shorter than what will go around your head, take a second piece to hold the ends together, and adjust for size. For the dot, I cut a cloverleaf shaped piece from silver sign material--reflective vinyl--made it about 3/4inch by 3/4 inch. Peel the back off the reflective and apply to the velcro.

Sign shops should have all kinds of scrap material.

Bill Preston
ITGL72

Post by ITGL72 »

The raw material at this online store only sells it in 1 foot by 2 inch strips? Did I read this correctly? I guess I thought it was a whole role! ROFL..

I'm going to try some local shops see if I can build one.
13thDisciple

Post by 13thDisciple »

Build an ACTIVE dot - super simple - very accurate - perfect dot everytime...
Toad465

Post by Toad465 »

posted September 03, 2003 03:16 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you guys not read this already

http://forums.naturalpoint.com/cgi-bin/ ... 5;t=000030

For somereason this above post has dissapeared but you can still access it.

and another one here too.

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_ ... s&id=zwqtg

[ October 02, 2003, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: T_O_A_D ]
ITGL72

Post by ITGL72 »

You know what? I don't really know what an active dot is! :-) I guess I should look into it.

I have SEEN that post with the glasses. THAT IS THE IDEA I WANTED TO WORK WITH! You are right though, I was unable to find that thread after seeing it the first time.

However I'm looking to build something that works on a HAT. Some type of roundish item with REFLECTIVE TAPE.

I just can't seem to find it! I have gone to a local arts/crafts store and to home depot/lowes and have not seen it. Granted I have not ASKED anyone that works there. They all seem to be out in la-la land or busy moving sheetrock.

But I'll keep looking. I can always buy the one foot for $7 here. But I would like more to blow as I test different things.

Right now I have a paper clip type of device. You know, with the little arms that folder up and down? The base of it is FLAT. Well I loaded that base up with DOTS. Then clip it to the front of my hat. It works pretty good. But I still want to try something ROUND.

Thanks!
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

We are looking into offering round reflective markers that will be premade by us, mounting with adhesive backing or velcro. This should show up on our store by the years end.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

We are looking into offering round reflective markers that will be premade by us, mounting with adhesive backing or velcro. This should show up on our store by the years end.