Guns don't aim correctly

Cas141

Guns don't aim correctly

Post by Cas141 »

Hello guys - No, it's not that i'm a bad shot, - well, not this bad:)
I have been lately playing Over flanders field and CFS3 , both implement 6DOF.
I use a Cougar HOTAS
I am finding that the tracer bullets show that when using trackIR 3 pro with vector expansion, that the bullets are going to the right and up. this is also happening on CFS3, so it seems not a sim issue , but a 6DOF one.
this did not happen with my trackIR 1 or in non-6DOF situations.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so , is there a fix, please.

Serious replies only
rodom

Re: Guns don't aim correctly

Post by rodom »

Does this happen still if you use 2DOF or DOT mode with the TrackIR 3?
Cas141

Post by Cas141 »

Hello - further tests reveal it still happens with trackIR switched off.
Particularly noticeable is if i am pulling up as i fire, the bullet tracers show a path going down under the nose. And opposite if the plane is nose down the bullets curve upwards?
Any RL fighter pilots can say if this is as it was in RL??
I must say, i don't know one way or another.
All i know is i'm missing
refields

Post by refields »

Hey Cas,

Yep - that's how it happens in real life.

The bullets only know which way they were aimed at the time they were fired. If you are pulling up then the tracers will appear to drop away.

Sit on the runway and fire - the bullets should appear to track normally because you aren't moving. If they are modelled realistically, they should still arc down though because of gravity. That's bullet drop and if you don't see it (i.e. the bullets track out like lasers) then the sim isn't that realistic.

Imagine (or actually do it) you were on a merry-go-round at a park. Get it spinning and then throw a basketball or something. It will appear to arc away as you rotate around. To someone on the ground that isn't spinning, the ball will track in a straight line out from where you threw it (aside from gravity). That's basically the same thing as firing the guns in a flight sim as you are pulling up or pushing over.