Love it! But I think I am developing problems.

Gdavis101

Love it! But I think I am developing problems.

Post by Gdavis101 »

I love the Track IR, probably the best add-on I have ever bought for MSFS but only after a short period of use I am starting to get weird occurences. Mainly the view won't stay centered, it jumps from the center to the right when I am trying to use it..

I am also noticing that the performance has been a lot less then it was when I first got it.. Its slower and at times almost a pain to use..

[ April 11, 2006, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: Gdavis101 ]
rodom

Re: Love it! But I think I am developing problems.

Post by rodom »

A few questions:

1. What are your system specs?
2. Are you using any third party apps with MSFS?
3. What version of MSFS are you using?
4. Are you using a TrackHat with the clip?

Thanks!
refields

Post by refields »

Another thing to check is the aim of the tracking head. If it isn't getting a good view of your head throughout your range of motion, it can't track.

There was another post somewhere on some guidelines on how to make sure it is aimed properly for good tracking.

Another possible issue and I say this knowing nothing of your computer security habits, is malware/spyware/viruses, etc. Basically anything that runs in the background and eats processor cycles can hurt the responsiveness of these things and the effects can be unpredictable.

Do a single ctrl-alt-delete which should bring up a process listing under Windows. How full is that list? If you have lots of things running - and especially stuff you don't recognize (though some processes are very cryptically named and may be legitimate), you might have issues with spyware/malware/viruses.

Unfortunately Windows is bad for that kind of thing and considered a security nightmare by any IT person worth his or her salt. Are you running AV software and keeping it up to date? Running a firewall (besides Window's firewall which ain't so great)?

If the unit is working but acting odd, it really sounds more like a problem with your computer than the device.

Have you tried looking at the raw image returned by the TrackIR head? I forget the path but it's available in the TrackIR software menus. If you see the dot(s) then the unit is almost guaranteed working fine.

Also, (and I do rag a lot on Windows), Windows is really bad about getting corrupted as software gets installed/removed, as it occasionally just blue screens, etc. The computer press pundits recommend a yearly total rebuild of Windows systems if performance and stability are important to you. I have to agree.

Maybe it is a TrackIR problem you are seeing but "slowness" indicates problems with your computer.
Gdavis101

Post by Gdavis101 »

quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint - Rick:
A few questions:

1. What are your system specs?
2. Are you using any third party apps with MSFS?
3. What version of MSFS are you using?
4. Are you using a TrackHat with the clip?

Thanks!1. P4 3.0 2 gb Ram 800 FSB
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
2. When I run the track IR the only thing I run it with in MSFS is the aircraft.. Active Camera is for the most part disabled except for the walk through options.
3 MSFS 2004
4. I am using the hat with the Vector Exp clip on it.. No dots... When I run the setup program I see the reflective surfaces from the clip and the ones on the hat. I think the hat might partially be my problem and I have tried it with just a regular cap with the clip on it, but it still jerks back and forth.

I have tried several different modes for FS2004 in hopes that would correct it, but when I turn on the vector expansion that is when the jerking starts. I can be flying along just fine and then all of a sudden when I look left or right it starts jerking back and forth, when I look forward it corrects itself and then starts agin when I look left or right....

Its almost like having an earthquake in my cockpit!

As for spyware and that kinds of stuff I scan regularly , my habits on my computer are mostly to do with Flight Simming and researching products that I am reviewing for Flightsim..
Gdavis101

Post by Gdavis101 »

ITs getting worse, almost to the point where I can't use it anymore!
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Hello sir,
Can you please email me a screen shot of your software?

What i'd like to do is take a look at the motion tab on your preferred profile, and have the tracking, 3D heads, and guages windows open as well (preferably moved off the TrackIR software so they aren't covering anything).
If you can't take screencaps, please let me know and i'll work up some specific questions.

apologies for the delayed reply, sir.

[ June 07, 2006, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint-Warren ]
warrenEBB

Post by warrenEBB »

Also, please read tip&trick number 4 on this page:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03- ... -2004.html

you mention having active camera partially disabled, but i want to make sure it properly addressed.
please let me know if this fixes your issue.
Heyvern

Post by Heyvern »

quote:Originally posted by Gdavis101:
ITs getting worse, almost to the point where I can't use it anymore!I'm having the same exact problems. But not just in one sim, the problem is occuring in ALL my flight sims. It's getting so bad, that I can't use my TIR 3 pro anymore.

When my TIR 3 Pro is started up cold . . . it seems to work fine for a few minutes. But then it starts to get jumpy, which is really annoying. And eventually it stops responding at all.

It's so bad that I can't use it anymore. It's driving me crazy.

I want to buy a TIR 4, but my TIR 3 Pro is not that old, and I just recently got the vector expansion.

My TIR 1 didn't break on me after using it for twice as long as this TIR 3 Pro. So I want to buy a new TIR 4, but I'm kinda scared. That's a LOT of money to throw away if the new one fails as fast as my current one.

-Vern P.
kevin

Post by kevin »

Hi Vern,

Please email support@naturalpoint.com with your serial # and current software version.

If you can send screenshots of the your tracking screen when the unit is tracking erratic that would help. If it is a hardware issue we can replace your TrackIR3 unit or work something out to get you a new TrackIR4.

Best,
Kevin
Heyvern

Post by Heyvern »

quote:Originally posted by NaturalPoint - Kevin:
Hi Vern,

Please email support@naturalpoint.com with your serial # and current software version.

If you can send screenshots of the your tracking screen when the unit is tracking erratic that would help. If it is a hardware issue we can replace your TrackIR3 unit or work something out to get you a new TrackIR4.

Best,
KevinKevin,

Thank You VERY MUCH for the offer!!! I recently purchased a TIR 4 and promptly had the same problem, so I know the problem actually isn't the TIR3 or 4.

I *think* I solved the problem today. I think my 4-port, powered USB hub went bad on me. The hub still worked, but perhaps it wasn't providing enough power, or the data cable wasn't good anymore. I bought a new HEAVY DUTY powered USB 7-port hub. The HUB works well, and so far I havn't had problems with the TIR 4 (crosses fingers).

If others are having problems with the TIR3 or 4 cutting in and out, it might be the HUB or the data cable to the HUB causing a problem. I highly recommend this good quality D-link 7 port powered USB hub. It's the cats meow.

Thanks again for the offer to replace what I *thought* was bad hardware. If my TIR gives me any more problems, I'll let you know Kevin, but I'm pretty sure it's fixed now. And I'm REALLY looking forward to flying helos in Armed Assault with my TIR4.

-Vern.