TrackIR stops responding

TDog

TrackIR stops responding

Post by TDog »

After using my TIR for about a year now, a problem has started happening. I'm running XP Pro on a P4 3G w/ hyperthreading.

It starts to work fine, just like it always has, then after 4-5 minutes it stops responding. If I bring up the control program it says "No Data". At this point if I shut down the TIR program my computer slows to a crawl. Bringing up Task Manager at this point shows the the Naturalpoint.exe program is using 100% of the CPU cycles on one of the two virtual processors. Also, if I try to use "End Process" here the program will not end. Task Manager also reports that the program is using 25Meg of memory, which seems high compared to other processes that are running.

When I reboot, and then try to fire the program up again, sometimes it works (although the same issues will occur) and sometimes I'll get the following error...

" The system cannot find the file specified"
"The software could not connect with the Track ir device"
"The program will start but there will be no mouse control".

If I unplug the unit and plug back in, then it will work again for a little while.

Any ideas?

Edit: I should add that I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software about a dozen times so far trying to fix this. I've tried the 2.12beta, with the same problems. I'm back with 2.11 now.

Edit #2: One more thing that might be a clue. When it stops responding, the green LED on the unit stay on regardless of whether there is a dot in it's view.

[ September 26, 2003, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: TDog ]
TDog

Re: TrackIR stops responding

Post by TDog »

Hello, testing 1, 2, 3....

Is this thing on? Anybobdy out there?

Well, I tried using it on another machine (AMD 1.1G w/98se) and it does the same thing. So, it looks like a hardware issue.

What's the proceedure for repair/replace?
F4UT_Bard

Post by F4UT_Bard »

similar issue here.

it works for a while, then the light goes off and i have to wait for it to start working again.

one thing i noticed is that i seemed to get a lot of "static" on the tracking screen, whereas before i got none.

can you tell me if you are seeing the same thing?

[ October 01, 2003, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: F4UT_Bard ]
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

Are there any other light sources seen on the tracking page under Camera View?
F4UT_Bard

Post by F4UT_Bard »

besides the static, nothing.

will the system turn itself off under any circumstances? (overheating, too many light sources etc?).
F4UT_Bard

Post by F4UT_Bard »

everything seemed to be working fine until i installed the beta drivers. Might just be co-incidence.

is there a utility that will remove all files and registry changes made by the software?

i'd like to completely remove and reinstall trackir and determine if it behaves better with earlier drivers.
F4UT_Bard

Post by F4UT_Bard »

seems to be working ok at the office, no static.

haven't run it in a game however.

wonder if some new source in my computer room is causing the grief. I better see if i can find something at home.

as mentioned above, are there any software reasons why the trackir would stop responding?
F4UT_Bard

Post by F4UT_Bard »

took it back home and plugged it back in, with same problem.

tracked it down to a jacket hanging over my chair (not reflective but it must have been doing some funky stuff to the trackir emissions).

man.. did simming without trackir SUCK
TDog

Post by TDog »

Well, I found a solution.

A couple days ago I got so frustrated when it stopped working, I gave it a whack - and it started working again!

Since then each time it has stopped (about 3 times) a slight tap has fixed me up. There is definitely a hardware issue here.

I sit in front of a dark paneled wall, so there are no other light sources - and I've checked the motion tracker screen many times.

Before I attempt to take the thing apart, are there any connectors inside that could have come loose? What is the most likely thing that could cause this?
TDog

Post by TDog »

Bump.

I'd really like to get an answer on this.

What is the most likely problem that giving the unit a whack would fix? Loose connector, chip, wire break, what?

Also, any tips on how to take it apart?