TrackIR 2 Support?

MrGnome

TrackIR 2 Support?

Post by MrGnome »

Why does Vector Expansion not include TrackIR 2 support? Can support for TrackIR 2 be expected in the future?

If technically possible, please consider
including TrackIR 2 support!
Charlie251

Re: TrackIR 2 Support?

Post by Charlie251 »

Hi Gnome:

If it were possible, you can bet they would have. But, unfortunantly, it is not. The newer hardware of the TrackIR3 is required to image the Vector correctly.

While it was a kick in the pants, it is just not possible with the TrackIR2 hardware.
MrGnome

Post by MrGnome »

Okay, well that's a shame really, not long since i bought my TrackIR2, and I just cannot afford to buy a TrackIR3 + the upgrade cost to get this functionality. I 've been monitoring naturalpoint's homepage weekly, eagerly waiting for updates in the software that would enable this feature, as it has been discussed in the forums for quite some time.

I just thought that the algorithm for finding the dots and processing the location was in the software and not in the hardware, and I just cannot understand why it is not possible to track 3 dots instead of 1. Isn't the trackIR device mainly just an IR camera?

I don't blame naturalpoint, but I'm just really really sad it won't work with my hardware... It was just what I would have needed to take the flightsim immersion that crucial step further.

A sad day indeed ...

[ December 08, 2004, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: MrGnome ]
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

This of it in terms of resolution. A better camera gives you more details in the picture that you are taking. More precision requires a higher resolution.

The TrackIR2 and TrackIR1 are incapable of providing the level of imaging needed to run Vector. Its not in the math... it is in the physical hardware.
MrGnome

Post by MrGnome »

Charlie,

Thank You for the explanaition. Then theoretically it should work on a TrackIR2, but not as precise and good as a TrackIR3. With all due respect, I'm still not convinced it's impossible to make a version of the software for TrackIR2, the TrackIR2 camera cannot be all that bad...

Of course I understand that NaturalPoint wants to code software for their top-of the line products primarily, but continuing to support and upgrade software for units older than one year cannot be a bad thing either, especially since the software pack is sold, and thereby creates a revenue of it's own. If more customers can use it, more customers will buy it.

Still I have the highest respect for NaturalPoint, and their great customer support... I guess this is why I hoped they wouldn't let Us TrackIR2 owners down.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I was about to start slamming my forhead on the table when I realized that no matter what I say, I will not convince you.

Do you not think NP knows how many more they would sell by supporting the TrackIR2? Don't you think that if it were possible for it to support the TrackIR2 and 1, they would drop Version 3 of the software completely and put all their effort into version 4?

And to clarify, the version 4 software is NOT sold. It is completely free for TrackIR3 users who want to use it for the new 2DOF mode. To get 6DOF, you have to purchase a lisence.

Theoretically, it will not work with the hardware on the TrackIR2. I dont know why you have that stuck in your head or why you are not listening unless you think NP are a bunch of money grubbing theives, except their track record up till now shows they are not.

Well, if you will not beleive what I say then I guess I am done with this thread.

Cheers.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Charlie should be a little nicer to you guys!

There is a technical reason that we can't make the TIR1 or 2 work with Vector. It is in both the imager and the lens, both are different from the TIR3. The whole system is designed to work together as a single piece, so we chose the TIR3 as the base platform and all the calculations are based on that imager and lens combo. The TIR1/2 would work with the same math and vector clip in addition to it not being precise enough for good tracking quality. I hope that info helps.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Sorry, I was not trying to be mean. It is just frustrating when people ask questions and then do not beleive the answer they get.

It makes me wonder if I am wasting my time trying to answer questions sometimes.
steku

Post by steku »

I bought TrackIR2 three months ago from one of your official dealers. They recommended me this version as cheaper and nearly as good as TrackIR3 for my needs. Nobody told me about coming Vector Expansion.

I asked them two days ago why they recommended me already obsolete product. They answered that they were not informed by you of any new "revolutions" coming...

I asked about possibility of changing TrackIR2 to TrackIR3. They told me: "Maybe in future."

It's not fair I think...

[ December 09, 2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: steku ]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Sorry you had this experience. We have not sold the TIR2 for a long time. Vector is a new product and we announce it to our dealers when they can purchase it, not months before. Technology changes all the time, a few months is a long time in this world.