TrackIR3 Pro and GTR

Tommy Trauma

TrackIR3 Pro and GTR

Post by Tommy Trauma »

I just recieved my IR3 pro yesterday and have to say this is the most amaziing piece of hardware/software I have ever seen. You have an amazing product here. Now for the list of ohhh say a 1000 questions or so. jk. Mine came with the 3.12 software and I intend to only use this with GTR seeing that is what I live for basically (Some people like to fly in the clouds, I prefer to fly on the ground/track). With this new "vector enhancement" should I d'load the new beta software and use it for GTR " if supported" or should I just stick with the 3.12 for now? I played with it ALL night and have it set to where I think I like it. I have the edit points figured out which is just cool as h*ll, and am getting used to it. And as far as having to unplug the USB each time before installing new software, well that might be a problem seeing that my desk is in the neighborhood of 3 - 400 hundred pounds and the back of my tower is a pain to get to very often. Wish there was a plug in on the back of the tracking unit. Would a small 2 foot USB extension cable hamper the performance of the unit? Second question, I am curious as to why when I ordered my trackir (the day before vector enhancement was introduced) I wasnt maybe sent an email saying " hey we have a new product coming out tomorrow, maybe you want to wait and get it instead". Now I have to spend another fifty bucks to get the tri-clip and hat and new software disc? I think you need to just send me the new stuff when its available either free, or at a reduced cost. I have followed all of Ken Streets posts in Race Sim Central forums about this product and this is the sole reason I purchased one.
Hotdognz

Re: TrackIR3 Pro and GTR

Post by Hotdognz »

Hi Tommy

Even if you dont plan on getting a 6DOF unit to add to your Track IR3 Pro you should be using the new version 4 softwear as it uses the new Vector proccesing even in 2D mode and will be even better in GTR than with the 3.12 softwear.

Also with the new version 4 softwear you wont have to keep unluging the Track IR unit when you download a newer version.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

If I am not mistaken, without the vector clip, you will not have 6DOF or 2DOF. It will work in 'dot-track' mode as all the previous versions have. You need the clip to get the 2DOF working. Jim, correct me if I am wrong.

I would upgrade to version 4 regardless. It is a driver set based specifically on the TrackIR3 and has some really neat new features in the interface that you can use with or without vector.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Even if you had waited, you would still have to spend the $50 to get the Vector. It is not part of the TrackIR3. It is a completely seperate product. So regardless as to whether you knew about it or not, you would still have to spend the extra money.
Tommy Trauma

Post by Tommy Trauma »

Yes Charlie, seems your right, and I may have to apologize after reading some more posts in the forum here. If it takes another 50 bucks to get the vector enhancement then that is the way I'll go with pleasure. I installed the new 4.00 drivers and can see the extra axis's that it will use. Looks extremely encouraging now. And I understand a little better now that N.P. has to make profits too. Hopefully it wont be too long before GTR supports the 6 axis's. I guess the thing I was worried about was spending the 50 and finding out its not what or how I wanted to see the track. Or maybe I wouldnt be able to use it due to neck motions or "motion-sickness" from it. Maybe a 10 day trial" for the software and a at cost for the vector clip might have been a good way to do this.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Hey Tommy, no worries.

Everyone will see many new games getting 6DOF support in the coming months. Aces High just announced support the other day. Many more developers are jumping on board.

I also know of a few racing games that should be getting support....

No worries. It will happen soon I hope.
ericd

Post by ericd »

We'll be putting together a FAQ soon that helps answer this question, but in the meantime here's a short answer.

Dot tracking mode does 2DOF, but not true 2DOF. It tracks a single dot as it moves left, right and up, down. The problem with tracking a single dot is that it cannot distinguish between rotation (turning your head) and translation (moving your head). So, you have to hold still otherwise any motion causes you to turn.

Vector, on the other hand, can distinguish between rotation and translation. With Vector you can move side to side and not have the view rotate. For games that implement full 6DOF, you'll be able to move around the cockpit of your plane or car as well as turn to look at things.

Hope that helps.

e
oqvist

Post by oqvist »

I would love 6dof support in GTR. Would like to drive upside down for an extra challengebecause I own them all in that SUPERB game
Tommy Trauma

Post by Tommy Trauma »

Yeah, what the h*ll, Think I'll order one.
oqvist

Post by oqvist »

btw am I correct that GTR will support 6dof because I wonder otherwise why you can alter the view in all directions as well as actually roll of not for future 6dof support?