Is this clip really needed?

ron533

Is this clip really needed?

Post by ron533 »

I wonder, cause I have the cap and all, and I only need the clip, so is there something special in that clip or you can just prepare a home made clip with reflectors urself?

I just wonder does it worth the 50$ (!)
I realize the software is doing the job, but that price is not small (around 33% of a new TrackIr 3pro for a clip?)
just a question....
Charlie251

Re: Is this clip really needed?

Post by Charlie251 »

Take a wild guess what the answer is going to be...

Yes, the clip is nessasary and to make your own, I hope you are REALLY good at being very maticulous about the dimensions.

Oh yeah... and its illegal.
Captain_Krunch

Post by Captain_Krunch »

What is illegal?

Also, how maticulous does one need to be to make their own clip when the clip's dimensions are quoted on the product website (3 7/8" wide, 5" long, 1 7/8" tall)? In addition, the reflective parts of the clip appear to be rather large, much larger than the 1/4" dots we currently use with TrackIR. So I see nothing that indicates this clip is a precision product, and I don't see why folks can't and won't make their own clips. As someone who is hesitating to purchase the Vector because I have no desire to wear a hat, I'm looking forward to seeing what alternative solutions come out of the community.
Birch

Post by Birch »

When you purchase the Vector Expansion, you get more than just the TrackHat and the Vector Clip.

The following items are in the package :

* The Vector Clip
* TrackHat
* Quick start guide
* Vector Activation code

You will need to register your activation code with NaturalPoint in order to use Vector Tracking in the TrackIR 4 software.
Captain_Krunch

Post by Captain_Krunch »

Amazing. Simply amazing. If I'm reading the last three posts correctly, I'm basically being accused of trying to get something for nothing, i.e., THEFT.
quote:Okay, you're gonna have to shell out the bucks for the activation code. Really, that's what it's all about. Yup, I've just been called a thief. Wow, that's a pretty cheeky thing to say when there's no basis in fact, don't you think? Maybe if you reread the thread and thought for a moment, you might realize that there's a serious topic that's being discussed.

I purchased the original TrackIR in summer 2003, and then I purchased TrackIR 3 last month, so I have no problem in paying for the Vector software or the Vector clip. But I do have a problem with having to wear a hat to use the functionality of Vector. It is enough of a problem to me that I am holding off making the purchase until I find another solution on this forum that might allow me to use Vector without the hat. My own preference would be a solution that could clip to my glasses. I don't know if a solution like this would work or not, but by reading and participating in topics such as this, people can discuss how the clip works and get an understanding of the requirements involved. Ultimately, this could either lead to modifications to the current Vector clip, to a fully functional alterative solution, or to a dead end. I know TrackIR's position is that the current hat/clip combo is the only way to go, but I've seen too many products be improved by the flight sim community to think that the current solution is the only solution (The hardware improvements to the Thrustmaster Cougar comes to mind as a good example)

It would be great if people could discuss perfectly legitimate topics such as this without being called a thief. It would also be great if held off calling someone a thief until you had some factual data to back yourselves up.

So if you will permit me to blow off some steam for being called a thief: take your accusations and shove 'em....
DonULFonso
Location: near THE Neandert(h)al (Germany for all Homo Sapiens)

Post by DonULFonso »

OK, let's (try to) calm down a bit and come back to what's the main concern of this here thread:

If we (have to) pay to activate 6DOF, why are we kind of forced to wear that hat without at least discussing alternative ways such as additional dots/stripes on the headset or glasses?

Assuming that the current solution, that thingie to be put on the hat, ensures good results, shouldn't it be possible to ensure good (enough) results for any other similar (but not exactly the same) solution as well? Let's take a strip stuck to the left and right side of a headset - the current software may require specific sizes and positions, but varying stuff could be calibrated, no?

Remember: this wouldn't change anything about us users paying for the activation of the vector features! It would 'just' - but that's exactly it! - allow us to decide whether to use the hat or a headset or glasses or whatever by ourselves.

[ December 13, 2004, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: DonULFonso ]
Dart

Post by Dart »

No, that's not what I was implying at all - and let me express my apologies if that's how it came across.

I'm sure you weren't looking for a cheat, and, again, I'd like to apologize if that's what you took from it.

I was just trying to clarify what you wrote, with the (poorly written) idea that the cost of the 6DOF feature wasn't in the doodad, but in the software.

Like you, I'll be most likely making one of these to use as tracker, keeping the "real" one as a template.

The PITA will be to get the angles and distances true as in the original unit that holds firm, especially since I'm not very good at fabricating things to last for a long duration. If they're not equal distance the unit will think you're tilted or turned to one side or another.

Of course some of you are quite handy not only with math, but your hands as well. It should all be relative, one would think, so long as it wasn't outrageously out of scale.

[ December 13, 2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Dart ]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Interesting thread. We are not calling anyone anything, except late for dinner! Sorry, couldn't help it.

If you buy the clip and the activation then you have full Vector capability and you now own the clip and can do what you wish with it, modify all you want. We only gaurantee that it will work well with the clip as shipped, the whole "void the warranty" thing if you know what I mean.

The clip is quite a precision piece of metal, to be as accurate as possible. You can make other things and they will work, but not as well. I like to fool around with things, so I am not for preventing our customers from doing the same.

I have mounted the clip on a headset quite nicely, may want to try that. As long as you keep the shape the same, have fun and post cool pictures of what you come up with.

For the legal part, if you decide to sell the custom clips that you come up with, well, you might get a call from us, but for tinkering, have fun!
Dart

Post by Dart »

And so how long before replacement clips will be available.

I anticipate my 6DOF thingy some time this week, which means I may ring y'all up by Monday or so crying.

And no, I'm not kidding.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Dart: They are pretty tough clips. I was going to do the 'sit my fat ass on it and see if it breaks' test but the little part that sticks up didnt look comfortable. OK, that didnt sound right so I will stop that now (but leave it here for the sake of humor).

Krunch: No one was calling you a theif. My original comment was made off hand because there have been people already asking for dimensions so they can design their own clip and not have to buy the package. If I thought you were a theif, I would say it right out in the open as I have said my exact thoughts to others in other threads.

There are also other threads where I said it works just fine when hooked to a heatset. However, the software looks for it to be shaped to the hat so, while the headset works, it is not a supported position.

Jim stated in yet another thread that in the future, the software will be expanded so that it fully supports a headset mount and maybe others.

So the answer is on the forums, you just have to dig around a bit to find it.