What about Active IR Transmitters?

Kamikaze1111

What about Active IR Transmitters?

Post by Kamikaze1111 »

We're all excited with this new development. I've got a concern though. I've been a track IR user for alooonnngg time since your first version. I just recently took advantage of the upgrade deal to the TrackIR3Pro. I never did like the glass bead "stickies" or the hat though. So I built my own active LED. There have been several threads on this board in the past so I'm not going to go into detail here now about it. The short of it is I current have one IR LED that I clip to the top of my headset that has worked wonderfully.

What problems will there be with your new product? I do not wear a hat so your nifty "clip" gizmo is not going to work for me. In looking at your design . . . . it looks like you just need three regerence points so the software will be able to detect the head movements. If I add two more IR LEDs . . say to the ear pieces of my headphones will this have a possibility of working?

The biggest issue I can see is that it is a bit reversed from your cap setup. That is my single LED is at the top of my head while the dual LEDs would be on the sides. Course . . . if the software if tuned right this shouldnt matter . . . . right?

What do you think?

I'm contimplating design changes now . . . . .
Kamikaze1111

Re: What about Active IR Transmitters?

Post by Kamikaze1111 »

OK, that might be do-able. One of the reasons I went with the active device was the increased sensitivity I seemed to get. With the default tools (using the "sticky" on a pair of sunglasses) it would sometimes have problems during the day. With the LED I never had that issue. Easy to build too, simple resistor circuit any one that can handle a soldering iron can build.

So the shape of the references IS important? Or are you taking a guess? Not being rude but I'm not sure how much you know about the product so I'm checking you out (dont let my wife know). From your website you look like a vendor.

From the mathematical standpoint, I would think that having just three references would be enough . . . that they would not need to be a certain shape. When your head moves, the points could then be transposed into a relational axis showing direction and distance. But I'm just guessing here . . . .

Delving for info prior to buying

[ December 13, 2004, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Kamikaze1111 ]
ericd

Post by ericd »

The dimenions of the clip are very important in getting Vector to work. Even the placement of the clip is important as some of the calculations are based on where the clip is located relative to the head. It will work if you clip it to a headset, but you may notice some side effects until we fully support that configuration.

At the current time the hat is the only supported placement of the clip. As we test more configurations and add more support to the software, other locations will become supported.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

Eric answered for me.

I know enough to hurt myself.

Not a vendor though....
Kamikaze1111

Post by Kamikaze1111 »

OK . . thanks guys. You've answered my questions. Unfortunately it sounds like I'm going to have to wait for a bit until the headset concept is more fully supported.

Dont know if you need another BETA tester for this though <grin>. A buddy of mine (Burnin) is already on your team so you can ask him about my background. I'd be willing to focus getting something to work for people that use Headphones (ie Platronics). The best would be a clip-on design or something that can be removed via velcro (thats how I hold on my battery pack). LOVE the concept . . . .
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

You will need to use the reflector clip. Even if you were to add two LED's, they do not have the same shape as the reflectors.

You can clip the clip.... what a pun.... to a headset.