Conflict With Hat Sensor?

Mark H

Conflict With Hat Sensor?

Post by Mark H »

Do you advise covering up the existing reflective patch on the track hat before fitting the spring clip?

Also what is the effect of smoothing and light filtering in 6dof?

What's the trade off? why not set smoothing and filtering to the max- do you induce lag?

TIA

Mark
JRH147

Re: Conflict With Hat Sensor?

Post by JRH147 »

Just came here to report this too - you would think this is pretty obvious - the clip doesn't work with the track hat because it sees the original reflective part sometimes as the dot at the top of your hat.

works fine if you cover that up or put the clip on the other hat...unless I missed a setting.
Phalcon51

Post by Phalcon51 »

quote:Originally posted by JRH147:
Just came here to report this too - you would think this is pretty obvious - the clip doesn't work with the track hat because it sees the original reflective part sometimes as the dot at the top of your hat.

works fine if you cover that up or put the clip on the other hat...unless I missed a setting.This doesn't appear to be the case. Here's a picture of the tracking screen "seeing" the Vector clip. It shows 3 green dots in the trangular pattern and one red dot that represents the TrackHat reflector. Apparently, once it recognizes the Vector reflector pattern it ignores any other reflectors, so it's not necessary to cover up the one on the TrackHat.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

You do not need to cover up the hat reflector but it is recommended. I have not covered mine up and in about three weeks of use, I havent had a problem except when looking to the extream ends of the camera FOV.

I would cover it up for best performance and to ensure that there will not be any hiccups. But when the software sees the vector clip, it ignores everything else.
JRH147

Post by JRH147 »

It does paint it red, but if you move your head up the top dot will get lost and the software will think the track hat dot is the dot at the top of your head.

This is the case - because it happened to me several times. As soon as I put it on a different hat, it worked perfect.

The track hat creates problems and for those people who are so skeptical about TrackIR in the first place, this will only add more confusion.
Slice

Post by Slice »

I agree, I ordered the hat and after reading this thread covered up the hat reflector. Now it tracks much better. Thanks. (Moving back more also worked previously now it doesn't matter if I move a little closer etc).

Again this should be made clear somewhere, maybe provide a small piece of black masking tape and a note in the box to do this if used with VE, or do the coverup already before the user stumbles into the forum? Afterall this cost me 35 UK which is a lot of cash for something that currently works with 3 games only (of which I only own 1). So a little help from you guys up front would really add to the value.

Why I thought it supported more already is another thread..

PS I think the trackIR v4 software is superb - well done!

[ December 22, 2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: Slice ]
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Slice,

We will be adding more games over the next few weeks.
But we do have to give the game developers that we are working with a little time with their families.

I am working very hard to include as many games as possible to have 6DOF support.
Slice

Post by Slice »

Thanks Wayne much appreciated. Don't get me wrong I think VE is great, I am just relating positive critiscm to help it sell and help the users get a positive feeling about it from my experience so far, that's all.
Barred

Post by Barred »

I already had a TrackHat before getting the Vector. I found that if any of the reflectors ent off the scan area then the reflecto on the hat became active. If it was one of the side reflectors the resulting confusion caused weird tracking results.

So as it stands I can use the Vector and have an excuse to wear the cap of my favorite band without the wife going off on one

Up the Irons
609IAP_Recon

Post by 609IAP_Recon »

Interesting that i have been using this with the NP hat since Christmas and I have no troubles with the dot on the hat.

Once I moved the unit back to 2 or so feet I've had great tracking.