Strange Response with tIR Inverted

Phalcon51

Strange Response with tIR Inverted

Post by Phalcon51 »

I was having a problem with moving out of the FOV of the camera as it's only about 18" away from the front pair of reflectors. After reading Eric Davison's post of the 17th where he suggests having the tIR about 36" away, I decided to mount the unit further back (26") under a shelf on my computer table, but I had to invert it. I set the tracking position to 180 degrees, but when I checked the heads and guages, I found that they responded very oddly and in certain positions, jumped around erratically. I've included a fewf images that I hope will show what I mean. All of these images involved only a simple head turn to the right or left. The first is with the tIR unit in the normal upright position and the rotation set to 0 degrees. The second is with the unit inverted and the rotation set to 180 degrees. There is a point when turning with the camera inverted that the heads and guages just go crazy and suddenly jump to an opposite position or jitter back and forth uncontrollably. I tried to show this in the third image with a slight turn to the left.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Looking Right - Camera in upright position:

Looking Right - Camera in inverted position:

Looking Left - Camera in inverted position - Heads and Guages jumping erratically:

rjsagel

Re: Strange Response with tIR Inverted

Post by rjsagel »

Hello,

If you read my post (NEWBIE) right near yours you will see that I too had the prroblem. I had the sensor mounted on the underside of a cabinet. I did a little carpentry and got it on top of the CRT.

It now works 100% - all of the time.

Happy flying,

Ron Sagel
Phalcon51

Post by Phalcon51 »

Can I get anyone to comment on this? It's still a problem. Has anyone else found this to be the case when the camera is inverted? It seems that the program simply doesn't recognize the triangular pattern properly when it's inverted. If I turn the hat/clip upside down all is well again. Is this a software problem? Is NP aware of or working on it?

Help!!
Phalcon51

Post by Phalcon51 »

Ron,

Glad you got yours to work, but unfortunately I need mine to work inverted. It seems that it's not yet programmed to recognize the Vector pattern when it's upside down. Can anyone confirm that for me by inverting your tIR, setting the camera position to 180 and check the head movement? I haven't received an official response to my post yet, so I don't really know if they're aware of it or not.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

It is Christmas. Most people are on holiday break.
Phalcon51

Post by Phalcon51 »

Hi Charlie, thanks for the response. I realize that they're probably doing Christmas stuff with their families and all. I didn't mean to sound impatient (well maybe just a little bit), just curious as to whether or not they've been aware of this. Seems like kind of a big oversight, but no biggie. I think that this is the best thing to come along since flight sims began, I just want to be able to use it.

But seeing as how you're here, want to try it and tell me if you experience the same thing?

BTW, Merry Christmas to one and all!!
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I understand the desire to get this fixed. Its an awesome product.

I fired mine up for a few seconds earlier to see what was going on and I got a real jittery view when looking to the right. No idea what the problem is.

Only thing I could say is keep the camera upright until the pro's are back to work and are able to help you. Thats all that can be done until next week (or whenever they get back).
Phalcon51

Post by Phalcon51 »

Hey guys, hope you had a great Christmas!

Has anybody had a chance to review this problem yet? I'd really like to start using my tIR 3V at a more reasonable distance (24"-36"), but I need to invert it to do this and I'm experiencing the problem outlined above.

I'd appreciate knowing if you're working on this as it seems to be a software problem. Is there a new driver version coming out soon that might address this, among other things?

Thanks
Barr3d

Post by Barr3d »

Phalcon, I notice from your screen shots you are using the Vector with the TrackHat.

Try mounting the Vector on a normal cap. I had some calibration problems untill I replaced the TrackHat. Do not worrl about having to go into dot mode as it then tracks the top dot on the Vector.

The other thing that might help is to turn on Light Filtering but do not take the level above 200, I find about 170 works well.

Give those a try, come back if they do not and I will try a few other things out.
Phalcon51

Post by Phalcon51 »

Barr3d,

Thanks, but I've tried both of those things you suggested without any improvement. I think it's a problem where they haven't really implemented tracking the reflector triad when it's inverted. Try it with yours and tell me what happens. You can either invert the tIR unit or just hold your hat/reflector triad upside-down. In either case set the camera rotation to 180. It just does wierd things, not anything at all resembling head movement tracking. I'm hoping one of the admins posts an answer soon.