TrackIR "loses" settings

reaper20

TrackIR "loses" settings

Post by reaper20 »

I have upgraded from TrackIR 2 to TrackIR 3 Pro. I have set the unit in nearly the same place as the old TrackIR 2, just a few inches further back on the monitor. The unit is now about 26� ~ 30� away from the front reflectors of the vector hardware, and about 2� ~ 4� above. This position seemed to produce the best results (after about 4 hours of tweaking within a very small zone). Very small adjustments seemed to make a big difference, particularly the angle at which the unit is pointed. All 3 reflectors are visible through my full range of motion.
Using any of the provided profiles, or my own custom setup, I can get the unit working perfectly. The odd thing is that it then seems to deteriorate. That is to say, it slowly loses range of motion. I sit in front of the editor and watch my in game head slowly lose the ability to look over my right shoulder, or above my head. This happens in all profiles. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, other times just after a few turns of my head. Re-centering does not help. Switching to a different profile and back seems to re-set things. I get the same effect in vector or dot mode.
Currently the TrackIR 3 Pro w/Vector is less stable than the old TrackIR 2, which was consistent in performance once tuned.
Any suggestions on how to maintain consistent performance? My old TrackIR folder is still present in c:/Program Files/Naturalpoint. Are there still registry keys from the old drivers that need to be removed? Any one else having the same problems?
Thanks
reaper20

Re: TrackIR "loses" settings

Post by reaper20 »

Update:
Pitch seems to be limited to keeping the top reflector above the two bottom ones, once they come into alignment no more "up" pitch is produced. Look right seems much improved after another slight change in the angle of the TrackIR unit, but still hangs up quite often (even though all reflectors are still in the cameras FOV). Any one at NP have any input as to the optimal positioning? It seems that with Vector this is crucial.
ericd

Post by ericd »

Is there any way you could send us screen shots of the various windows in the UI when the problem occurs? A movie of the motion as it happens would be nice if you can do it..

It sounds like you have the camera in an appropriate position.
reaper20

Post by reaper20 »

I've got 3 jpg's that show the basic issue (although much improved after tweaking the location of the base unit) - how do I get them to you?
Thanks

p.s. My small issue aside, the system is quite incredible, and far more pleasant to use than previous versions!
ericd

Post by ericd »

You can email them to ericd@naturalpoint.com.

Thanks!